Author Topic: Yew and Me  (Read 1920 times)

Offline dvdhlwy

Yew and Me
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:47 am »
Need some help and advice. I have never made a bow and have a few questions as to how to handle the yew log I have found. I have sealed the ends with Elmer's wood glue and on the branch cuts. I am very confused when reading all the opinions about how to cut and when to cut, lay out, or rough out this 3 day old green cut Yew. Also, recommended bow length? Once I got this home, thrilled because it was straight, near dark when I found it and cut it, I realized and you will see that a woodpecker has really given this wood some going over. The holes are many (hundreds) and many appear to be through the bark and creamy layer but stop at the heart wood.  Is this wood ruined by insect/woodpecker?

I have read opinions that say just make the bow while green and keep it well greased or oiled.
So how long should a green Yew stave, or then, roughed out bow be aged? So, maybe a band saw here on this: Length 98"?
Big End: 3 3/4" by 3 1/2" O.D. and heart wood at and small end down to 1".

Thank you for any comments or ideas in advance.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:44:51 am by dvdhlwy »

Offline DC

Re: Yew and Me
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:03 am »
Where are you? I'm on Vancouver Island and I don't do anything special with yew. Cut it, spit it and leave it until it stops losing weight. I leave the bark on. I don't seal the ends. I have not had any checking(touch wood) so far. I've done about 20 staves. Don't know about the woodpecker holes, that doesn't sound good. If you can't get full length staves maybe you can get some billets.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:02:08 am »
I don't touch large logs for at least 3 months. Then I'll saw them in half (don't split), and leave them for another 5 or 6 months. I'll rough them into bow blanks after a year, and still I monitor the weight. Yew will make you pay if you get into it too early, with warping or with set.
Don't worry about them pecker holes till you get into the stave.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:54 am »
I'm the opposite of Wizardgoat.  I split large yew logs as soon as they're cut, and let the splits follow the grain.  Then I seal the ends of each stave, and seal any areas where the bark has been removed by accident, and let them sit in a nice tight pile somewhere airy for about 12 months.

That's when I rough them out and get them down to almost bow dimensions, before leaving them another 12 months.  Never had them warp or twist on me doing this, but part of me thinks that splitting avoids this from happening.  By sawing, you're chopping right through the natural movement of the log and it's gonna want to move around as it dries.

Still, either way you do it works fine, and once you've got your stave dried out nicely after a year or more you can start really going at it.

The woodpecker holes would worry me if they're going through sap into heartwood.  Yew can take a hell of a lot of abuse, rookie mistakes and clumsiness, rot, twist, knots, holes and so on, but that many deep violations through the back of the bow would definitely be a cause for concern in my book.  The only thing you can do however is make a bow and see what happens.  No point worrying about it until you know what it means.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:29:40 am »
Regarding the pecker holes. I'd suggest that if you can't lay out a bow to avoid the holes, then you should take off the sapwood and make a bamboo or Hickory backed Yew bow (or your backing wood of choice).
Don't write off the log just because the sapwood is damaged.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:03:22 am »
Regarding the pecker holes. I'd suggest that if you can't lay out a bow to avoid the holes, then you should take off the sapwood and make a bamboo or Hickory backed Yew bow (or your backing wood of choice).
Don't write off the log just because the sapwood is damaged.
Del

Bryce made one hell of a sinew backed yew with heartwood only. Give her a go. :)

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:09:21 pm »
Don't even need sinew! Heartwood yew bows work perfectly well with no backing at all.  I believe there's even one in TBB.