Author Topic: Best method for juniper  (Read 6239 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Best method for juniper
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 02:55:42 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=50480.105
Blackhawk made this bow recently, and last time I asked he said he had over 1500 shots in it.
ERC is a juniper, but many would agree it's probably not one of the best.
I've made 2 unbacked Rocky Mountain juniper bows, both were low weight, but both had flawless backs with no knots or pins.
Greg- I think a flawless piece of ERC trunk wood would make a fine bow if treated right.  go slow and teach it to bend. even a single layer of sinew would do the trick I'm sure

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 04:27:34 pm »

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »
This is a bow I made a while back from ERC. It was only 30#@26" and 72" long. I know the tiller is t perfect but it was on a single growth ring and I went to shoot it one day and it broke for no reason.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 05:42:10 pm »
Tough break Ryan, you can see it's a little weak out of the top fade, I'd bet if it was rawhide backed it would still be shooting

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »
Ya I bet your right.

Offline CodyPost

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 06:53:36 pm »
No problem Badly Bent I wouldnt say you hijacked my post. I posted this post to get every ones ideas of working with this wood, and if anyone else has questions about juniper I will not bother me at all if you ask on this post. Ryan bad luck on the bow breaking but I agree if it had a backing of rawhide I bet you would still be shooting it.
In the beginning God gave man two ends, one to sit on and one to think with. Ever since that moment mans success has been dependent upon the one he used most.