Author Topic: Forged in Fire  (Read 3340 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Forged in Fire
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:14 am »
Has anybody been watching this show?  I have been enjoying it.  The guy that won last night forged a knife out of a farriers rasp.  It seems like most guys on there try to get to fancy and end up messing their blades up. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: Forged in Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:59 am »
Yeah I've watched it, i enjoyed it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:21:38 am »
Saw the promo  but haven't watched it. Looks cool!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:42:29 am »
Where and when Clint?  I haven't seen this one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:11 am »
I watched the first episode and was disappointing, very little on the actual craftsmanship and the usual scripted conflict and "crisis" situations. Overall I found the knives produced to be amateurish, one guy was a pretty good craftsman and won that segment.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:12 am »
History channel on Monday night Pat. 

They put the guys on a time limit so they aren't able to do much detail work.  Its still cool to see someone forging knives on TV.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:45 am »
Eric to pick up a piece of steel and not know exactly what it is and forge a knife, is very hard to be successful. And if you have worked an item before like a farriers rasp, it could be a totally different steel than it was last time. Different steels need to be treated differently. If you pick up a steel thinking its 1075 but it's actually 1095 and quench it in water instead of oil it's going to crack. Different steel need to be forged at different temperatures. If your working on what you think is 1095 and you're cold forging and that steel end up being something else yo can crack the steel. When you're heating your steel to be quenched if you don't have the right temperature for that particular you can warp it, crack or even shatter it. I've seen some of these guys knives and they are gorgeous blades, they are anything but amateurs 

Offline jkyarcher

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
I Liked it I wish everything wasn't a competition show though

I'd like to learn something from these shows

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:01 pm »
Saw a couple minutes of it. Most of these shows would be so much better if they took the drama out of it

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
It's a good show seen the one guy snap the tip of his knife off.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:58 am »
Bowman, my point is that racing the clock to turn out a quality blade is a waste of time with the end result being predictably substandard. What these guys turned out in the length of time allotted was overall substandard, not their fault, just a bad format for a show. No real craftsman can produce quality with time constraints, I  can't in my bow making and don't think any of the rest of you guys could as well.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
I have watched two episodes thus far and enjoyed both of them. Competitions may not necessarily take the quality out of the blade but the time crunch certainly will. I have always enjoyed the work all you forgers do. I enjoy watching it and wish I had the time to do it.