Author Topic: Coon Shoot  (Read 3417 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Coon Shoot
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:32:34 am »
Morning everyone.  Last night was the annual coon (night) shoot at the Flagstaff Archery Club.  It was a great night and I had some interesting experiences I thought I'd share with you all.

As per the usual, it was 99.999999% wheelie bows, and it wasn't seen so much as them having training wheels as me having a handicap bow.  All about perspective.

I get there about 630 and around 7, not dark yet, this man approaches me, telling me how amazing and impressive my bow is.  This is my 66", super sleek, minimalistic, thin tips, no overlays, no grip riser, no shelf, bendy handle osage.  Most of you know, such a bow does not have a lot of volume to it.  It's just a little stick.  So he's drooling over my bow and declares 'so what this must be about . . . . 10lb draw'?  I grin ear to ear and say softly, sixty-five.  I could have left and gone home satisfied with the look on his face at that moment!

So darkness falls and we get into our groups, I'm with three old farts with wheelie bows and all the bells and whistles that go with them.  I've not been shooting very long and they know it, they've seen me shoot, I'm still getting there.  But three things they are not aware of. 

1) I think I'm coming up over the hill on the basic learning curve
2) My new(ish) osage bow is perfectly tuned to my old arrows that used to fish tail.  It shoots fast and straight and has helped with #1 above.
3) I'm an instinctive shooter, and darkness is no handicap as long as I know where the target is (and I did thanks to the half dozen high powered flashlights these farts brought)

We get up to the first target, a turkey, 17yards.  They all shoot first.  Its my turn.  They're laughing and jeering.  I don't take the 35 seconds lining up my bells like they do, only holding for maybe 1.5 seconds to consciously consider my form.  Thunk, hit foam.  That shut them up.  We approach the target.  Somebodies arrow is closer . . . . . . :D :D :D :D :D

I ended up missing just about half the targets, but a lot of my hits were 10's and all my misses were by inches.  A number of other targets I scored higher than my wheelie buddies.

One miss was of particular mention.  I pulled my shot (which I beat myself up about) and hit a rock.  It made an epic spark in the dark!  Almost worth the miss and busted arrow.

At the end of the night I scored 50/144 points, which as a new shooter, shooting in the dark, as blind as I already am, I'm not unhappy.  Not to mention, its common practice for 'handicap' archers to shoot closer, and I refused, determined to shoot at the same distance.  Some of them were a bit far out.  35yds in the dark.

There was one other "handicap" archer and I beat him by two points, which gave me a lot of pride as a bowyer as well, as he had all the bells and whistles of the recurve world, and all I had was this crooked bent stick.  That put me 1st place in my category. 

Offline Zuma

Re: Coon Shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:04:16 pm »
Fun shoot. Looks like you brought home some coon meat. ;D
 Nice going. I like hunter rounds.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »
That's showing'em.. Great story
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 04:06:58 am »
Well done ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:07:10 am »
Great story, hopefully you opened the eyes of some of those guys.
Well done :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:29 am »
Congrats on letting your bow do your talking.  Don't get any better.

wheelie guys must have set the "coon" shoot course up also if the first target was a turkey.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:02 am »
We started on target #4.  The first one was actually a bear swinging in a circle with a strobe light pointed at it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »
Good job representing the home team!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:17:27 am »
Congrats E, nice job, we use to have a lot of them, pretty nice in the hot summer time. We always supplied each group with a light so all were the same, [small flash light]you know guys, it wound up before we started doing that guys bringing lights that was like shooting in the day light, they would light up the whole woods. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:24 pm »
E. I guess my point was that they call it a coon shoot for a reason.  I had a coon shoot at my place and used painted cardboard coon cut outs painted black with glow eyes.  Hung them in front of targets and  bunkers and like Pappy wrote. supplied the lights.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
Sounds like a blast

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:49 am »
Oh duh I gotcha now.  There was 1 coon haha.