Author Topic: 3/4" 65# Ipe  (Read 18810 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: 3/4" 65# Ipe
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 02:03:23 am »
that is one nice bow. Do you think it performs as well without a bamboo backing? No doubt its cooler without. I thought bamboo would help with the weight issue but being only 3/4 it must be really light. It does remind me of a spear. Sharpen up those pin nocks and you could get the deer at close range. :D          Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 02:14:22 am »
Wow great work Justin .You gonna bring it to the classic so we can stare at it a bit ?

Ralph

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:19 am »
Beautiful bow justin,that is a sleek one.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 11:24:08 am »
Pat, hmmm  :-X
Thanks, Ron I appreciate the kindness.
Jesse, It performs amazing without the boo backing.  With a boo backing you can loose about 10% of the weight which translates to 1.7 oz in this case.  I could have brought some reflex in but other than that I don't think the performance would have increased significantly.
Thanks Ralph, I don't know if I will be there.
Pappy, sleek and curvy just how we like them.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Little John

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 10:51:25 pm »
Sleek, pretty bow Justin. Have you flight shot it for distance yet? I would be in tropuble here, it would be hard to step off the distance in this deep snow.Any way good job, would be intresting to see how it compares with your other bows for distance.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 12:29:40 pm »
Thanks Kenneth.  I am kind of curious myself.  I suspect Badger would be interested in the speed and distance also. I will go shoot it through a chrono today and shoot it at the park behind the house as soon as there is nobody around.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:56 pm »
 You read my mind Justin!! What weight arrows will you be testing with? If it were in the self bow broadhead class you would be using 500 grain arrows for any weight bow. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 01:04:15 pm »
I don't know what I even have any more. Ill get as close to 500 grain as possible.  I need to make me some that are 500 gr for just this occasion.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 03:23:58 pm »
Hey Justin,
Been busy at work the last few days staying out in the shop and just now saw you had this bow posted. I like it! Tiller looks good and had to be tough with those narrow limbs. I think the third bow I ever made was a bend through the handle due to the stave I had...haven't made one since.

Good job! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 09:27:32 pm »
    justin, I don't know how I missed this. That bow looks fine. I've been trading my butt off for Ipe lately, I really like it. I've got that stave's sister in the shop, thanks again Bob. I's going to be an unbacked ELB with horn knocks. Nice Bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:11 pm »
Thanks Greg, now slow down and taste the taters. (I knew you couldn't relate to smell the roses.)  ;)
Eddie, that stave/board you have is exceptional quality.  It ought to make a great ELB. The horn nocks will be on the dainty side. Thanks for the kind words. Justin

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 04:28:54 am »
Justin, That's a great looking bow.  I'm particularly impressed with the fact that you got away without backing it.  When I first started building bows I tried a couple unbacked Ipe bows but I don't think I knew enough to spot a bad board and ended up with sharp, toxic splinters, and one or two 40 lb. bows.  The weight and dimensions make your bow is a triumph among unbacked board bows.  I like the simplicity and the design--including the tiller.  Do you notice any kick in the hand? 

J. D.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 10:57:26 am »
Thanks JD,  There is no noticeable hand shock. It is one of the smoothest, sweetest shooting bows I have ever shot.  That is the biggest reason why it will be my new hunting bow.  Justin

SW Utah

Dingleberry

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 11:48:52 am »
Great bow, Justin.  It looks very spry.  :) I especially like the nocks.  Yeah, definitely bring it to the Classic.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 06:03:27 pm »
Even within  Ipe there's a vast variety (100 sub-species), I have made similar bows to Justin's out of pieces which have no business making a bow, and other pieces a little run-off and its history...

Favoring the back by trapping the belly in these situations give you a better shot if you find your piece has a run-off mid-limb...

Rich-