Author Topic: Cable back vine maple  (Read 4909 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Cable back vine maple
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
nice thanks for sharing   :)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 01:31:11 am »
Good experiment, Mike - thanks for sharing.
I have only one cable backed bow under my belt, so I'm no expert either. I have backed the same bow a few times with different cable backing designs. I used B50 by the way.
My experience is: you can affect the tiller by the position of the bridges (stiffer under the bridge). The higher the bridge the bigger the effect.
i have tillered out the bow before applying the cable, best result was with more bridges and more or less the same distance from the back.
I think we should go to the limits of the cable (nylon or sinew), just because of it's mass. So it makes sense to do the backing while the bow is braced backwards (reflex) and to do the backing not on the back, but with a distance of a 1/4" or perhaps more.

I'm with you, it's an interesting item and we should have more results.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Limbit

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 02:16:58 am »
Could you tell more about the placement of the bridges? What is the logic around bridge placement?

Offline Blob

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:31:41 am »
Awesome!

This makes me think of the Penobscot bow from Maine . The double bow.

This was my first thought as well.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:27 am »
Not much logic to bridge placement, half way between handle and tip anchor. If you had two bridges per limb then split each limb into thirds. You could put a bridge on each side of the handle and two or three out on each limb. I'm just making this stuff up as I go!!!
Like I said I'm no expert on this stuff.  cheers fiddler49

Limbit

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:20 am »
One more question: What keeps the cable from slipping down the limb further? Is it simply really tight or did you knotch the limb or something like that. Seems like it would be sliding down unevenly and difficult to balance the cable position. Thanks for the reply by the way!

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »
It's just like a fiddle bridge, lots of tension, cheers fiddler