Author Topic: Hackberry  (Read 2009 times)

Offline make-n-break

Hackberry
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:27:25 am »
I'm about to start on my first hackberry stave and was seeking some pointers. I read through a lot of archives to research and it seams the general consensus is a 1.75-2" wide flatbow.. Mid 60s length.

Unfortunately I have to chase down about 4 rings to get to a nice 1/8" ring, because a local gentlman I got it from really hacked up the first few rings taking off the bark. Otherwise it's a real nice stave with no knots and very minor twist. 

I plan on heat treating the belly.. Seems everyone says it responds real well to heat.

My questions are: do I need to trap the back or will it do fine with a rectangular cross section?

Is it easier to bend recurves in hack with dry heat or steam and how does it bend? I've always had nightmarish results trying to bend recurves into hickory so I hope it's easier than that! Lol

Any other general advice is definitely appreciated before I dive in.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:28:48 am »
Forgot to mention my target weight is 55# give or take 5.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:48:37 am »
Inadvertently (don't ask) trapped back on mine and lifted splinter right on the edge.  >:(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:59:57 am »
I've made a number of hackberry bows and have never trapped the back.  It does respond nicely to heat and makes a pretty snappy bow.  I've not attempted to recurve one so I have no opinions on that issue.  Good luck!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:23:46 am »
2" wide flatbow is my preferred layout.  It definitely responds well to heat tempering.  I've never trapped the back on a hackberry nor have I seen the need to do so.  Hackberry also heat bends exceptionally well with dry heat or steam.  I hope that helps.  Josh

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:00 am »
If you haven't checked this out yet it is a great guide for a successful hackberry bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31738.0.html

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956