Author Topic: sinew question  (Read 8992 times)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: sinew question
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »
I found out the hard way that if the leg sinew isn't pounded well enough or if the bundles are too big when pounded and pulled apart.  Then bundles wont lay flat or they will try raising on you when applying the bundles to the bow.  I soak the sinew in water until the are thoroughly saturated, then I separate into bundles, and combed out.  After I have them all combed out, then I dipped them in the hide glue and start applying onto the bow.  I still smoothed them down on the bow as I apply the sinew.  Also I keep the combed out sinew in a damp towel so the sinew don't dry out before I can apply it.
Northern Ute

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »
I don't have a problem using leg sinew from whitetail deer. Most deer processors will give you all you want.

I wonder if some guys who have had problems getting leg sinew to lay down well, broke them down into fine enough strands? The more they're reduced in size, the better they are to work with and the nicer the end result. I take them down thin enough that if I try to divide it one more time, it's likely to bust in half as I peel them apart.

Another thing I noticed... some of you guys presoak the sinew in water. I don't do that because from their completely dried state, when they soak up ANYthing, I want them to be soaking up hide glue, not water. The more water that's in it, the less glue it can suck in. If the sinew is in fine enough strands, it softens in the hide glue very quickly anyway. Just my $.02
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 03:13:00 pm »
Ok , I just checked the bow. I squeezed on the sinew and was able to flatten it and squeezed out glue.
NOW did I just screw up ??????
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
I also wrap a freshly sinewed bow with strips of old bed sheets for about an hour or so. This helps to flatten and smooth the sinew and the old sheet strips breath well enough to not impede the drying process.
 Dog, many folks use too much glue. This can cause a terrifying popping sound that will make you think its about to blow...but it ain't. The excess glue does add excess physical weight which can slow the bow down. I doubt you screwed up. Check it tomorrow and see if the sinew is still secure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 05:54:17 pm »
My bow doesn't look as ugly today. Kind of funny, when we got home from a visitation I remembered
I put it in the garage. The sinew had drawn the bow into set of about 1 1/2". So I put it between 2
chairs and hung some weight on it . Gone all day for a funeral and now its back flat.

Learning all the time.

Dog

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 08:33:35 pm »
I agree. I wont touch it myself. Back or bust.
I've only done one sinew backed bow, and I might not have a dog in this hunt......But just IMHO the sinew I got from Osage Outlaw which I am real sure was leg sinew was the best stuff I've see so far.  It laid down real nice and I got the smoothest layers.  I am now realizing how much work Clint did to get the sinew that nice.  I think I have a enough to do another bow this winter.  I hope to do a lot of pic's to show how nice it lays down.
Thanks again to Clint for a quality trade.  But I know everyone knows he is a top notch guy...

But Pearl, I still don't understand why you don't use leg sinew.   :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:32 pm »
Dbar your spot on with clints sinew, and its pretty long too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »
Bubby...your right ...I've got to talk to Clint and find out what is his secret....

Offline bubby

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
I think his secret is simple hard work and attention to details
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »
Sounds like you know him.... :) :)

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2015, 09:17:44 pm »
The leg sinew I bought from Moscow hide and fur. Raw form elk rear leg. I had to beat the snot out of it to even
begin to break it down. The best I figure I didn't go far enough.   You need to get it raw/ dried and try it. Lots of
hard work. You should be very grateful to have it done for you.

Dog

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:49 pm »
I'm with ya  S. Dog,  Clint did a lot of work to prepare the leg sinew.  I have some raw leg sinew and it takes a lot of delicate pounding to get it right if you know what I mean.  Back sinew doesn't take near as much work to get it to the same point as leg sinew, that's is why most people like back sinew. IMHO
DBar

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 12:44:45 pm »
How long do you let this glue and sinew dry before doing anything on it?  I have read 10 days, 30 , and even 3 months.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »
I agree. I wont touch it myself. Back or bust.
I've only done one sinew backed bow, and I might not have a dog in this hunt......But just IMHO the sinew I got from Osage Outlaw which I am real sure was leg sinew was the best stuff I've see so far.  It laid down real nice and I got the smoothest layers.  I am now realizing how much work Clint did to get the sinew that nice.  I think I have a enough to do another bow this winter.  I hope to do a lot of pic's to show how nice it lays down.
Thanks again to Clint for a quality trade.  But I know everyone knows he is a top notch guy...

But Pearl, I still don't understand why you don't use leg sinew.   :-\
DBar

Bub nailed it. Clint's leg sinew is that nice because he pours time into it. I wont. I can take a hank of back sinew and have angel hair in about 45 seconds. Why bother using anything else when I have gobs of it? Im not hard up for sinew and I have no problem driving by dead deer along the road!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »
How long do you let this glue and sinew dry before doing anything on it?  I have read 10 days, 30 , and even 3 months.

What temp and humidity is the bow stored in right now?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.