Author Topic: sinew question  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: sinew question
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 10:22:43 am »
Ok then. I desire to learn this. How much time does it take ? Or how much time do you men put into
sinew backing?  How do you comb it out and lay it down ?
This makes me feel dumb but a teacher from along time ago said the only dumb question is the one
you don't ask.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 10:25:30 am »
I would do as I mentioned if its rough and lumpy. Mix up a batch of sawdust and glue then literally use a knife to spread it over the whole limb like toast. Let it cure hard for at least a few weeks. Then shape it smooth with a sanding block and rasps.

I would NEVER intentionally build a sinewed bow this way, but its a good save if your unhappy now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 10:33:03 am »
Thank you. I worked hard on this stave to get it right . I looked at your build a long. I guess I was trying to
hard. Mixing too many things from too many ideas.  This is a juniper stave.  I never liked grinding down one
of my welds. I should not have worked this bow in this manner.
How do you go about laying down sinew ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 10:36:38 am »
Just like the build along shows. One combed out hank at a time, starting at the grip and working out. Hide glue starts to get tacky if you work it too long, all you have to do is dip it back in the pot and its pliable again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
When I do a sinewed bow I lay down the first layer, let it dry so I can see the thin area and add more to fill them. The third layer, usually shorter pieces is to even out the back. I don't mind if it is a little lumpy. We are not working fiberglass. After the sinew has cured I add skins over it for decoration and protection from moisture and abuse.
 The guys that do the Asiatic Horn Bows lay the sinew very smoothly, almost like FG. The smoother the sinew is the more efficient it is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:40 am »
I am grateful for your help. Next one I will pay closer attention.  Don't work harder , work smarter.
I figured out too late. I didn't squeeze the bundles flat. Only part of my mess up. :o

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:06 am »
I am sure it will work, may or may not be the prettiest but sinew will usually work pretty or not.
Look forward to seeing how it turns out. My thoughts are the same as Pat's on using TB or hide glue, both will work ,but I don't think you get the full potential of the sinew with TB, JMO, of course it is a bit easier and faster to dry so TB has it pluses I guess. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 11:07:30 am »
I never found a need to comb it. I separate the sinew and keep it in bundles of 12-14 strands, each bundle separated by the pages of a magazine. If the sinew is reduced in diameter sufficiently prior, when dipped in the hide glue, they soften in seconds. As it is softening, I dip and run the bundle between my fingers a few to several times. This squeegies off excess glue and nicely aligns the bundle in the shape of a flat ribbon before they're layed on the bow. They lay down nice, neat, and flat thataway. I dont see how combing would help any beyond that.

I don't degrease the sinew. Any grease or fatty/waxy feeling stuff seems to be on the outside, on the outer sheath which is discarded. Once it's removed, and the sinew is pounded, reduced, and separated into bundles, I simply keep it clean and dry until it's time to dip into the hide glue.

I do rough up and degrease the bow's back... and of course size it with glue prior to laying down sinew.

I LOVE the smell of hide glue.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:28 am »
I dip the sinew in warm water lay it out on a clean surface and comb it with a mteal dog comb then dip in the glue and squeeze the excess glue out, it comes out pretty smooth, i wear nitrile gloves while i do it too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
are you all using leg or back sinew ?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »
I personally only use leg sinew for backing my bows. I tried back sinew once and for personal preference I'd rather use leg. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »
I can't seem to get the leg sinew to go flat or comb out . Just a stinking mess.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »
I agree. I wont touch it myself. Back or bust.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:22 pm »
You could do a search for smooth sinew tips on here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:18 pm »
I also prefer back sinew unless I can get cow leg sinew. So far its the best I've used and makes the neatest application.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC