Author Topic: They kinda look like chrysals, but I don't think they are?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline DC

Re: They kinda look like chrysals, but I don't think they are?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 12:21:21 pm »
Since this yew is probably from a logging show, is it possible that the log was strained by a yarder or cat long before you got it. Do you have a sister stave that you could compare it to?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 01:22:43 pm »
It is possible that it's the remnants of the rasp marks, they do travel a ways into the wood.  Generally on a D section bow you will find chrysals on the crown of the limb and not so much on the sides
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 01:25:20 pm »
Looks like tool marks to me. Were you wearing a watch or bracelet when working that could have marked it up as you were going along?

I'm picturing a velcro strap watch scratching it up right behind your sandpaper. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 02:04:05 pm »
 They do look like chrysals to me also. How long is the bow, how far did you draw it?  Yew will chrysal when very dry. I saw you live on Van Couver Island. I wouldn't expect it to be too dry there. Have you got a full draw photo?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »
You can definitely have compression fractures and not have set. Some years back I cut a beautiful straight Mockernut hickory. I split out 6 staves,took them to bow dimension,cured them on a reflex form,then set out to build the bows. The first 5 staves I heat treated the belly,as I always do. All 5 developed CP's. The 6th stave I passed on the heat treating,and it made a good bow. Who knows what made this wood susceptible to chrysals, when wood taken in the same area never caused a problem. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »
Since this yew is probably from a logging show, is it possible that the log was strained by a yarder or cat long before you got it. Do you have a sister stave that you could compare it to?

I had the same thought, except I was picturing a big fir or cedar deadfall whacking it on the way down and giving it a good bending over. Hard to wrap my mind around how that could really result in chrysal fractures throughout a wide band, but does seem plausible to my gut.

Each tree is as individual as we are in terms of both genetics and life histories.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso