Author Topic: mold on osage sapwood  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Aaron H

mold on osage sapwood
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:12:33 pm »
I cut down a beautiful osage tree the first of this year, split it up and put it in a shed.  Well I checked on them today and noticed that after all the rain we have been getting lately in the Midwest, that those staves had started growing mold on the sapwood.  I have a number of other staves in that same shed and those don't have any issues.  Just the most recently cut.  What is my best bet for saving these staves?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: mold on osage sapwood
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »
Wipe them down with Clorox or Lysol. Removing the sapwood will eliminate the mold also.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »
Yea, I was just thinking of misting them with Clorox, would this work ok, or do I need to actually scrub them?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »
The moisture in the sapwood causes them to grow mold in the right conditions.  I've had that happen a few times.  The best solution is to remove the sapwood and seal the backs. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:48:46 pm »
It's worth controlling if you can, but not the end of the stave. Osage heartwood is hard pressed to rot no matter what is happening to the sapwood.