Author Topic: Advice on design for #100 osage selfbow  (Read 3060 times)

cool_98_555

Advice on design for #100 osage selfbow
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:22 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am making another osage selfbow with a slightly cut arrow shelf (8 inch handle), and i'm wondering about a particular design that would work best.  It is 72" long and has no knots with medium rings.  My draw length is 30".  I'm trying to decide between a pyramid design and a parallel limbs design for 2/3 of the limb tapering out to the tips at the last 1/3.  Since this will be thicker in the limbs to accomodate for the 100# draw, I don't want to have too much mass in the limbs that would kill arrow speed and rob performance.  Also, I don't want to make it too wide to have too much mass in the limbs either.  My original plan for this bow was to do 1.5" wide at the fades with a pyramid design with the taper being from the fades to the tips, but i'm not sure this design will work with this type of bow.  Any recommendations for design on this bow would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline bubby

Re: Advice on design for #100 osage selfbow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 09:51:54 pm »
Personally if i was going to build a 100# bow with a 30" draw I'd build a warbow period, no cut in shelf no nothing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »
I'd be a little nervous cutting a shelf into a 100# selfbow. I usually cut small shelfs into all my bows, but at around 80+ lbs I can really start to feel the the flex in the handle. I might be doing it wrong, who knows, but at that weight I'd personally avoid the cut shelf. You can definitely get away with super heavy pyramids, but I couldn't give you advice on osage dimensions.

I've got a couple heavyweight hickory pyramids between 80 and 95 lbs that are 2" wide for 2/3 of the limb and a straight taper to 3/8 tips on the last 1/3 of the limbs. I've had a handful of monsters break at the fades from too sharp of a transition into working limb. My survivors all have 2.5 inch long fades with a very gradual and rounded angles into working limb.

Also, Pretty much every heavyweight I built that bent full compass/circular broke at the fades from too much stress. It wasn't until i switched to a slightly more eliptical tiller that they lived. I just don't let the fades bend quite as much as I would otherwise.. A good majority of stress is placed on the outer 3/4 of the limb. Don't take any of this as professional advice, I'm just letting you know what has worked for my surviving heavyweights.

I usually use 68-70 inches for a heavy hitter at 28" draw. I'd think with osage you could probably get away with 70 inches for 30 draw.
My favorite bow of all was a 95# hickory pyramid with the above dimensions that shot sooo smooth. It outperformed any other bow I've ever made and would launch an 850 grain arrow scary hard. It was gifted to my brother when he got back from SF training and he still shoots it regularly.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:30:08 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
I would make the limbs parallel,, your limbs wont add too much mass,, cutting shelf I am sure will work,, but with a heavy bow,,having no cut would be stronger

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
Personally if i was going to build a 100# bow with a 30" draw I'd build a warbow period, no cut in shelf no nothing
+1
8" handle is a waste of working limb. 5-6" is plenty IMO...
Cut in arrow shelf is a built in weak point...
just sayin'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 02:50:34 pm »
It's a proven design for those specs and a classic looking bow to boot
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »
  If it's your 100 osage selfbow. You know whats the best design. Matter fact you've ran out of unsued designs along time ago.

A 72" osage bow is very close to haveing to much mass. The only thing helping you is it's omly 30#'s,
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING