Author Topic: Advice on hickory board bow dimensions  (Read 12362 times)

Offline chrisgedwards

Re: Advice on hickory board bow dimensions
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »
No wonder there has been such confusion when I describe my projected dimensions. Thank you for the correction. Does this unfinished bow appear to be an improvement over the last one? Handle is awfully thick, I'm considering leaving the top piece of hickory off. Will probably cut to 1/4" from center.

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »
Once you get it bending good you can shape the handle any way you like, hi wrist bulbous check out some finished bow posts and see what you like
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »
I've been so overwhelmed lately, haven't had a chance to work much or post here. I started rounding the fades and roughing the handle out. I need to make a tiller jig asap and purchase a scale. I just can't get over how much more solid this bow feels with raised section under the glued handle. Not to mention the thing is a beast, nothing like my wimpy previous bows.

The other wood with the metal in the pic is a small crossbow I just started, very roughly cut with the machining not yet done etcetera etc. I have pretty bad ADHD so jumping between the projects keeps me sane ish.

I bent the previous bow to failure (on purpose). HANDLE DIDNT POP! Instead the limb broke right where it transitioned into the glued on riser. I never have broken hickory before, made me a little concerned about the limb thickness of this one and the woods moisture content.

Btw this one is cut about 1/4" from center. I won't shape anymore until it's tillered. Not sure if I'll be recurving it, probably not.