Author Topic: Best non-Deet Mosquitoe repellent?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Ross.m.

Best non-Deet Mosquitoe repellent?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:09 pm »
I love spending long stretches of time in the dense woods and I'm sure most of you share this sentiment with me, but oftentimes I have to cut my trip short because of the unbearable amount of mosquitoes biting me. How do you wilderness veterans deal with this problem without bathing your skin in harmful chemicals? Any tips/ tricks would be helpful!

Offline lake flyer

Re: Best non-Deet Mosquitoe repellent?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:51 pm »
Thermacell portable insect repellent generator works great if you are not constantly on the move.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:14 pm »
Thermacell, I carry two in case one stops working.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
A bug hat / head net for me makes a big difference. Keeping the majority away from my face makes them more bearable.  I generally keep covered. Long sleeves and pants, etc.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 04:24:55 am »
i recently heard of a two part bug repellant. i cant remember on half... but the other is coconut oil.... something to look up perhaps

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:24 am »
Try tea tree oil.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:08:39 am »
I don't think you should put Tea Tree Oil directly on your shin. I used to put some on the brim of my caps to keep gnats out of my face.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:41 am »
I treat my clothes around contact areas and wear those clothes when in the woods. Also use on boots. It lasts a good two weeks. I use deet on exposed areas but just a dot here and there to keep the critters from bugging me around ears and eyes. Never above eyes. Thermocell if sitting.

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:58:39 pm »
I'll add another vote for Thermacell.  Rarely am I blown away by a product, but that thing is amazing.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 04:06:37 am »
Before Thermo-Cells, I used a Shannen Bug Tamer Suit Turkey Hunting. Works as advertised - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 03:32:37 pm »
I still have a Bug Tamer, but they are too hot down here and don't work on our big mosquitos.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:29:30 am »
You are right about them being hot. I'd just wear green colored boxers and a UA tan T-shirt under. Carry the 1911 for those F18 sized Skeeters  O:) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline autologus

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:58:44 am »
I don't think you should put Tea Tree Oil directly on your shin. I used to put some on the brim of my caps to keep gnats out of my face.

Yeah, I would not put it on the skin either but like you said on your clothing.  I would not put deet on my skin either.

You could try soaking your clothing in permethrin that is one of the best bug repellents I have found, works well for ticks and chiggers too.  It not only repels them but It will kill them if they get on your clothing.  It is safe for skin contact, but beware it is highly toxic to cats just in case you have any.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline agd68

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 07:34:52 am »
We use vitamin B12 patches we get a Wal-Mart. If you can get them down there they work pretty good. Put them on the night before your outing and they last about 12hrs. Must make you smell bad to skeeters or something. They work for mosquitos but not blackflies or deer flies.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »
Another vote for the thermacell...it lives in my truck!!
"SET" is always there !!!