Author Topic: Adding overlays to finished bow  (Read 3661 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Adding overlays to finished bow
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:02:16 am »
I am wanting to put a fast flight (d97) string on an Osage bow that I have been shooting with a B50 string.  I suppose I could still flatten the back of the nocks and add overlays?  Or are overlays needed?  I don't want to take too much of a chance in adding overlays or using FF without overlays.  I have heard about padding the loops with  B50.  Would that likely be the easiest, most risk free way to go at this point?

Offline bubby

Re: Adding overlays to finished bow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:18 am »
Yup that will work two 8"pcs per bundle each end is all i do
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:24:51 am »
Either way is fine, I shoot some [ Osage ] with FF and no overlays but have added many over overlays through the years after the bow was done, not much risk putting tip overlays on if you are careful. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:29:23 am »
Osage needs no overlays. I use 2x3 ff + 2x2 B50 (6" long) for padding the loops. Over 70# I go with 2X4 ff.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:15:11 am »
I like overlays, this one has a stringing groove added so I can use my parachute cord stringer on the bow.

Instead of flattening the back of your bow, cut the shelf for the overlay at an angle toward the belly. This way you will have a graceful overlay instead of a big hump on the back of your bow.

I replace an overlay on a finished bow occasionally. The overlay in the picture is a replacement, you can see the a little bit of the overlay that broke under the new overlay.

I did another replacement last week after I dropped a bow that hit on its tip on a concrete floor and cracked the overlay.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:42:07 am »
I have a couple of osage bows with no overlays and they have FF strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:15:00 am »
Osage doesn't need any help. Heck a lot of us have used osage as overlays.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:32:44 pm »
The bow I'm currently using has Osage overlays, and I'll be making up a FF string for it eventually.  I always thought the real dense woods didn't have anything to worry about with FF.
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance with Osage.  I was sifting through some old threads where someone wrote that they wouldn't consider using FF without overlays because he had ruined too many bows by using FF without them.  He didn't say anything about what the bows were made from,  just made that statement without any other info.   Can't wait to try it out.  It seems like most that have used it won't consider using B50 if they have FF available and a bow that is made to handle a FF string.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »
Osage needs no overlays. I use 2x3 ff + 2x2 B50 (6" long) for padding the loops. Over 70# I go with 2X4 ff.

Am I understanding correctly?  Two bundles of 3 strands for  a total of 6 strands not counting the padding.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »
I favor skinny tips so overlays are a must.i only file the back side off the tip.also important to use rift or quarter sawn 4 this.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.