Author Topic: Pacific Yew English Longbow - 50#@28" 70"  (Read 13839 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Pacific Yew English Longbow - 50#@28" 70"
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 04:13:32 pm »
Carson that's a slick bow with a beauty bend. Nice work.
Personally I always thought English yew had darker heartwood colour. I haven't seen too many fresh bows though. I've cut a lot of pacific yew that was dark brown red, and some very pink.  Always bright white sapwood though

Offline WillS

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »
Pretty much all the English yew I've worked with is pale pink or orange.  Our yew seems to never quite know where the sapwood is meant to be.  Often end up with streaks of heartwood all over the place!

Offline SIIaCanuck

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
No English bows at Crecy would have had arrow rests probably no leather grips or arrow plates either.
Victorian longbows wouldn't have arrow rests either.

I don't actually giveadamn, but having said that.
The bow would not qualify as an ELB anywhere on this planet to the best of my knowledge:- and if it is to be shipped to the UK and used in competiton, it could cause the owner some serious embarrassment if it was noticed.
Some archery organisations actually specify that the leather grip must not be thick enough to act as an arrow rest.
I have had a bow returned because it was considered to have too much reflex to meed the BLBS definition of ELB. This caused me considerable inconvenience as I had to make a replacement bow.

I am in no way decrying the superb workmanship... I'm actually trying to be helpful in a (hopefully) amusing manner.
Maybe I've misunderstood the tone of your response, and maybe you've misunderstood the tone of my original post.
Maybe you've also missed my signature line ::).
Del

Del,

'Twas meant in jest my friend.

I understand there are many rules applied to competition in the UK but, while very new to building bows, I am a semi-professional military historian and not new to the military equipment of the era. 

I am aware, but far from conversant with the various rulebooks of diverse sporting governing bodies.  Rules, I'm afraid, that are based on the particular 'traditional' tastes of a select demographic of archers but not on historical evidence from the 12th-15th centuries for the very simple reason, there is virtually no hard evidence to be had.  It's not as though 10% or even 0.001% of the bows of the era survive in attics and sheds in villages throughout the realm.

So, I concede that an archer in modern competition may attract criticism or disqualification for leather handles of too great a thickness, too much reflex, recurved tips, etc.  However, an archer of the 100 Years War couldn't have cared less as long as his bow threw a heavy war arrow where he wanted it to go, and the more efficiently it did so, the better.

While the evidence on either case is scant, with none of the hundreds of thousands of longbows of the era surviving to the present day, I personally believe there is credible indirect evidence to support the use of much more reflex and/or recurved tips than would be 'true to form', in many of the warbows of the era.  I dare say, if 1,000 of the archers of Agincourt were suddenly transported to an event in England this summer, a considerable proportion of them would be immediately disqualified for one reason or other.

Therefore, 'true to form' is a statement rather open to interpretation and, while I'd agree that an arrow rest is unlikely to have been found at Crecy, as previously mentioned, lack of hard evidence dominates the discussion.

'Within the rules' may be a better phrase.

In any case, it's a beautiful longbow, whatever category it belongs in.
Stew

If Wellington had met Napoleon at Waterloo with Roman Legionaries, English Longbow Archers and Mongolian cavalry, how much more quickly would he have won?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 08:42:27 pm »
Very nice bow Carson, looks graceful drawn and at brace. For that matter even at resting profile.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 10:06:18 pm »
Ya know, if Carson keeps this up, he's gonna get a reputation.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 12:56:55 am »
Crazy nice work man.  Great job

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 11:04:52 am »
You can't dissolve shellac in tea >:D >:D

;D

Thanks again fellas for the nice comments.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:56 am »
Awesome bow Carson!!!!!

Offline dantolin

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:42 am »
Very nice work and piece of yew. Congrats!

Offline Hans H

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »
that`s an excellent Job, congrats
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
Thanks Eric, Dantolin, and Hans!  :)
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
Absolute stunner, and I bet it shoots like a dream

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:53 pm »
I don't care if it's English, German, Russian, American, Indian, etc, etc, etc THAT is one of the best bows I've seen in a while!  Always love to see your bows bro.  You do some seriously awesome work!   Thanks for sharing! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 07:25:34 pm »
I don't care if it's English, German, Russian, American, Indian, etc, etc, etc THAT is one of the best bows I've seen in a while!  Always love to see your bows bro.  You do some seriously awesome work!   Thanks for sharing! 

:) Thanks Arrowind!

Thanks JoachimM

Offline bowmo

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 11:10:02 pm »
Also just killer. Super nice.