Author Topic: string slap  (Read 7324 times)

Offline OTDEAN

Re: string slap
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:06 am »
Take your point Eric about the bi0-mechanics of individual arms.  I have very long orangutang arms so I get away from wrist slap with a high brace.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:44 am »
Using D-97 I usually don't have issues with string slap it the brace is above 5" from the belly side. I probably get by with a shorter brace because I shoot with my bow arm bent a little more than normal.

Kyle

Offline bowmo

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »
7.5" brace?! That's like a glass recurve height. I brace mine at 5.5" and don't notice any slap as long as my arm guard is on. More energy for the arrow.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »
I brace my bows at 5.5" and dont need arm protection ....so cant see any need to brace over that....I agree a wooden bow should be ok at 5.5" to  6" of brace
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 03:30:59 pm »
It is curious.  I can go down to less than 5" with FF and get no slap
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:41 pm »
LOL.
Once again and as I stated in my previous post, my brace heights are usually 7-7.5 in. from string to BACK of bow.  That's around 5..5 to 6 inches to the belly as the crow flies with a 1.5 in handle thickness. :)
I start at fletch clearing distance and increase as needed.
It is what it is. I wonder where I heard that? :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bowmo

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 04:46:07 pm »
Heck...that mini bow I recently made and have been shooting every day to the tune of over 1,000 shots barely slaps me and is braced at only 3.5 inches...

And yea George...I def missed the from the back of the bow part. I don't think many people measure that way tho.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:50:36 pm by bowmo »

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »
I usually start at 5 1/2" brace but sometimes go as high as 6 1/4" to get rid of a little string slap or to get better arrow flight.  I shoot about 8 different bows on a regular basis, some are selfbows, some BBO's, some hickory backed tri-lams and recurves and they all shoot a little better (or worse) within that BH range.  I just recently switched to making D97 strings and some still have B50 on them as well.  I don't think there is anything written in stone as far as what your exact BH should always be as long as it isn't unnecessarily high.  Like it's been mentioned, everyone has their own shooting form, too.  I keep my elbow locked and anchor at my chin straight below my right eye.  But, a great shot I ain't and am always looking for form tips. ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:02 pm »
Well heck, bowmo. It's the way  I always did it since since about 1956. We measure  our draws to the back of the bow. Don't we? :)
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bowmo

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:16 pm »
Haha...yeeeees.

But, where your palm contacts the belly side of the handle defines how close the string is to your wrist. Both make sense to me, I've just always measured of the belly side.