Author Topic: Arrow pass offset  (Read 5609 times)

Offline DC

Arrow pass offset
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
Has anyone seen a chart or something that will tell me how much to change the spine of an arrow depending on how much the arrow pass is offset from center shot? I've seen mention of arrow length and tip weight but not offset.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Arrow pass offset
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:49:52 pm »
I don't know of a chart, but I have a solution for you. Take a stiff arrow and start sanding the middle a little at a time shooting it in between. When it shoots good out of the bow in question, test the spine. Write down your results for every bow you do this with and you'll find out the formula pretty quickly.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:16 pm »
DK, I'm not sure if you are following what I'm on about. If I was to do it myself I would start with a centershot bow and build up the arrow pass a bit at a time keeping track of the spine of the arrows that shoot well.
Anyway, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of response. I have a 37# bow with six arrows (42#with 125gr tip and 3" too long)that shoot nice and straight. I made a new bow that was about 32#. I tried the six arrows in it and they didn't shoot well at all. I ran my test arrows through the new bow and discovered the this bow wanted 30-35# arrows. I rummaged through my stash of arrows and found 5 34# 125gr 3" long arrows. They shoot great. So the bow went down 5# and the arrows had to go down 10# to work. Tip weight and length were the same. The only thing I can see is that the pass offset(if that's the right term) increased some. Is there something else I should be considering?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »
None of that garbage matters with self bows. Two identical self bows, aren't. Find arrows that shoot well from each bow you own and don't ask why, just enjoy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:15:08 pm »
I can see your reasoning and it is probably less work to do it your way but I'm one of those guys that just has to understand how things work. I just assumed that if someone has gone to the trouble of figuring out that an extra inch is worth 5# or whatever that someone would have worked this out. I guess the problem of string alignment and how to measure it enters into this. It just takes a few minutes to shoot my test arrows and determine the needed spine. I'll just be happy with that, I guess :) But if anyone sees an article about offset be sure to let me know. :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
I like to know how things work as much as you do, that's why I said forget about a formula.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »
If you find it out let us know. I've been doing this stuff for about 30 years and never heard of anything like that. I do as Pearlie suggested.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »
The glass guys have a great formula that does just as you want. But again, none of that translates simply because we aren't dealing with dead nutz symmetrical bows the repeat themselves over and over and over.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 04:53:16 pm »
 Even the glass guys end up using trial and error with fiddling with tip weight and shelf build up etc.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 05:55:19 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I need my butt kicked back onto the path occasionally :)

Offline aaron

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 06:17:26 pm »
google "stu millers spine calculator" I use it all the time to get me in the ballpark. I have read a lot here lately suggesting sanding to adjust spine, but I do that by changing point weight. I sort of disagree (respectfully) with pearly- this stuff matters with self bows just as much as any other bow. The formulas involved can be difficult to apply because self bows are difficult to measure for the centershot measurement, but using the above program can take a lot of the guess work out- leaving you to tinker with the fine tuning. As others have said, trial and error is a good way, but the program can get you in the ballpark.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 06:20:39 pm »
 Pearlie didn't say it didn't matter.

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 06:24:18 pm »
He said "none of that garbage matters with selfbows"

perhaps I am misinterpreting what he meant. I thought this meant that you shouldn't bother measuring the arrowpass width of a selfbow because selfbows do not behave predictabilly based on this measurement.

I understand that selfbows do not lend themselves to being measured for arrow pass width, but I personally have good luck using spine calculators to get my arrows flying well.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:27 pm »
I have a tendency to assume. That's my fault. What I meant was every single self bow is different no matter their similarities in measurements.

Offline aaron

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 06:49:48 pm »
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I value your opinion greatly.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA