Author Topic: Tip overlay failure  (Read 7652 times)

Offline adb

Tip overlay failure
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:28 pm »
I think it's wonderful that we all post our bows, and share, with pride, what we have built. I do, however, believe we learn more from failure than from success. When we've built a beautiful functional bow, we sit back and grin, but don't always remember how we got there. OK, enough babbling.
The first ipe/hickory bow I ever built (about 4 years ago), turned out pretty well. 68" NTN, 54# @ 27". I wanted a hunting bow, and I did hunt with it that fall. During the winter, I decided (I still don't know why), that this bow needed tip overlays.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

Re: Tip overlay failure
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »
It was a good bow. I was happy with the tiller. It was a hard shooter.
So... it needed tip overlays. Whitetail deer antler tip overlays. Sounded like a good idea.
Here's where I went wrong. I cut the hickory back down to the ipe belly wood, glued on some antler, and shaped it. Sounds good, yes?
HUGE MISTAKE. The belly was too thin at the tips, and the first time I braced it and pulled it to full draw... KA-BLOOOOEY!! Both tips... gone.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:45:32 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:38:18 pm »
It's my hope that you all can avoid my error. Something I have to constantly remind myself of: Perfection is the enemy of good.
Look at that crappy glue line, too!! It seems I've come a long way!! I still keep this bow in the corner bin of shame, just as a reminder.

OK, everybody... don't be shy. Share your blunders!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:43:00 pm by adb3112 »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:25:12 am »
Yikes....but you walked away with Both Eyes....right!!! Looks like you rounded the Hickory Backing...not necessarily a bad glue line....but I bet you learned not to invade the Backing like that again....I always either glue th Tip Overlays directly to the Backing....or maybe bevel it a bit and then glue on the Overlays...we all have made our share of Screw ups...I have my wall of shame to reflect on too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:26:01 am »
adb, what you did was an inlay and not an overlay. Disaster was imimnent. Shame it was a beautiful bow, very nicely tillered as well. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:10:39 am »
I do, however, believe we learn more from failure than from success.
I must be the smartest guy around.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:36 am »
I've put horn nocks on backwards, :o cut string grooves the wrong direction :o and bent one recurve one way and the other tip the other way. ::)  Anyone that says they haven't had a blunder is lying! ;D
         Painfully honest, Pat ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:19 am »
    I had a very similar failure this year at the flight shoots, my nock overlay peeled a layer of wood and the nock was too skinny to cut side nocks so in a rush I just files a nock right into the back of the bow, first shot it did exactly what your did. It's just like cutting 1/2 way through the limb. Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:27:35 am »
Hey, Badger
Tip inlay/overlay... I call it tip screw up!

Jutin,
You crack me up!

Pat,
Thanks for your honesty.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:47:46 am »
Ya everyone gets it in the end :D I've had a few nocks which looked quite healthy , but the horn apparently wasn't, just get sawed off by the loop, and sent the bamboo backing flying off  the bow..I picked it up. grabbed the arrow from the target, went home and glued it back on...a little shorter, but it still worked..

I like skinny strings on these skinny nocks, and sometimes it can be a little too skinny..

Adb, that was a sweet looking bow.

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 02:10:16 am »
yankee, that bow was sure pretty but your right it was doomed from the start, did you fix it? looks fixable.  Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 02:54:02 am »
Yankee, that bow was sure pretty but your right it was doomed from the start, did you fix it? looks fixable.  Steve

Steve....When it blew...it took out a Window in my Garage Door and stuck splinters in the Ceiling....it went straight to the Dumpster...I didn't even want to look at it again!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:17:16 am »
Pat that sounds like me,I have done all of those things.As well as have had several blow
because of dumb thing I have done.The trouble is it will probably happen again. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:24 am »
Let me see, I've rounded the tips on the back instead of the belly. Screwed up on the bandsaw more times then I'd like to remember. Tried to get that last little bit of dip out of the limb by cranking the clamp another turn resulting in a crack. Made a mislick working down to a grain on osage forcing me to go down yet another grain...ouch! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:37:41 am »
I think the worst thing I've done to date is letting someone who knows nothing of selfbows pull my bow :o
I've made the bandsaw mistakes, cut nocks wrong, broke about a half dozen bows and superglued my finger to the bow :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI