Author Topic: Old Question about Osage Sapwood: Pics of Stave added (Fixed)  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

I know this question has been asked before as I have done a search on the subject, but the discussions seemed to flip flop on the answers. Basically what I can put together is that it is possible to use the osage sapwood as a backing, but there seem to be some questions as to whether this is a good idea. Can anyone list off the pros and cons?

I currently have a stave with a bunch of crevices that are running vertically up the limbs. Very cool looking. I have a done some meticulous scraping to get something close to a single growth ring out of the sapwood, but there are a couple of violations. The rings are really thin and the idea of starting over and attacking the next growth ring down is... disheartening, but I am willing.

Is there a benefit to keeping the sapwood or am I better off saving myself the time and backing with sinew over the sapwood instead?

p.s.: The sapwood seems to have pulled the stave into a wonderful reflex curve. Very cool!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:04:50 pm by Almostpighunter »

Offline bowmo

Re: Old Question about Osage Sapwood, but need some clarity. PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 03:31:10 am »
For me, the only reason to include the sapwood is if you have to because there's not enough meat in the stave otherwise. And it would have to be a controlled environment seasoning of the wood. To me it seems like backing good wood with less good wood, where as it's the other way around in the glue up world for the most part.

So pro: if the sapwood it rot and bug free you can make a high weight bow from a stave that other wise wouldn't have enough wood to do so.

Con: it's kiiiiiinda like backing oak with pine. Ok, not even close to that bad, but you get the idea...

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:21:06 am »
I'd keep chasing! ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:09 am »
There are no pros...only cons.
I've left sapwood when I have not had enough heartwood on both black locust and osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:19:13 am »
I've left osage sapwood on a stave for aesthetic reasons but I was sure the sapwood is sound and in good health. It doesn't sound like your stave has sound sapwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:45:50 am »
I leave it on all the time. I found out as a result sapwood makes a fine back........ IF!!!!!!!! the sapwood has not suffered any deterioration.  For example, left outside in rain for a period of time while curing.  I had one break and thats why, sapwood was jeopardized by poor climate. If its cut and stored indoors then I see NO reason to remove it at all. If its questionable for any reason remove it, just because thats safest. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »
Ok, Thanks All!!! Very helpful!
May not have enough wood after removing the sapwood so I may try backin over the sapwood with sinew. Any thoughts on this??

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:51:22 pm »
Done that too. Works real good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Question about Osage Sapwood: Thanks All+ follow up question
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
Why don't you post pics of the stave so we can make a more educated guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:42:57 pm »
Ok, I'll post some up tonight

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:29:42 pm »
Mike, I've worked with a couple of sleeks sapwood bows. I have one that he has floor tillered right now that I'm going to flip the tips and apply sinew to. I was skeptical at first but now if I was in your situation I would leave the sapwood on. As long as I knew how it was taken care of before I got it. JMO, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 04:30:19 pm »
Yeah, I wanna see that when you're done brother....

Sapwood is designed to take tension loads. It grows on the outside of the tree where the tension loads are to start with. Trees basically back themselves with sapwood, so I dont mess with natural perfection.

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Old Question about Osage Sapwood: Pics of Stave added
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
pics

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Old Question about Osage Sapwood: Pics of Stave added
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 08:04:26 pm »
More specific pics

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Question about Osage Sapwood: Pics of Stave added (Fixed)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:21 am »
Get it bending and see what happens. I wouldn't waste a sinew backing on it but I would use it as a learning tool by making the best bow you can from it. You'll be amazed what a stave like this will teach you.