Author Topic: Hello and a question about recently cut wood (update)  (Read 4095 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Hello and a question about recently cut wood (update)
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:50:06 pm »
Hello!

I've been reading these forums for the past 6 month now and have learned so much in regards to bow making.  I can't thank you all enough for both sharing your knowledge with the world and for sharing your works-in-progress.  As a lurker, I've learned just as much from people posting questions and their mistakes in addition to all the experienced bowyers showing off their latest works.

While I was hoping my first post on PA would be showing a bow inspired by one of the vets (I'll say who when I'm finished, but it's in the works!), something came up that I needed some advice on.  A few hours ago, a friend of mine felled a 50 ft tree he called a "golden ash".  A quick Google search indicated a golden ash is European Ash.  Regardless of what kind of ash it is, I'd like to turn it into bows!  He managed to cut three pretty decent sized logs for me to potentially turn into staves.

Provided is a picture of the logs.  The thickest one is the trunk and is about 6 1/2 ft long.  The other two are close to 8 ft and are the main branches of the trunk.  My friend said there was no rot in any of the wood and there are a few places on all the logs where there were no branches or knots.  He also said the trunk log was pretty dry and the to main branches had some moisture as they got further from the ground.

So, are any of these logs worth investing the time into?  If so, I won't be able to get up to his place (he lives 90 minutes away) until closer to the end of June.  With that in mind, is there anything you'd do to the logs to prep them for splitting with that time frame in mind?

Thanks in advance for your advice and I'll try to get more information if requested!  Have a good day!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:28:39 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Hello and a question about recently cut wood
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:04:37 pm »
Welcome to PA! I'm not certain myself about golden ash, as far as I know european ash is good bow wood. I'm sure someone here will chime in who has worked with it. As far as prep goes, I'd peel the bark asap, split it, and get the ends sealed.

If you can't do that for a couple weeks, at least make sure he stores them for you up off the ground. White woods tend to rot in a hurry.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:06:51 pm »
ty
  There have been quite a few ash bows posted here form "across the pond" so I assume that they were using European ash. Ash will make you a good bow with the right treatment and design.
   As to the timing, it is what it is    so I would suggest that you leave 'em bark on for now and see if your friend can get them up off the ground (maybe saw horses?) till you can get to em. Then cut a kerf (I use a chainsaw) down the center from end to end then get your hammer and wedges.
   Because of ash borers I would recommend debarking and then sealing the ends and back. Some will say ash is not worth it, but in my opinion the wood is down so dont waste it.
rich

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies Dave and Rich.

As far as I know, there haven't been any EAB reports in North Dakota yet, so unless there are any other bugs to be concerned with, I'll not rush over there to get them split.  Also, my friend said he will keep the logs off of the ground and covered.  If it sounds like it'll be fine to leave the logs like this for a short time, then I guess that'll have to do.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:20 am »
I've never used that wood nor have I used a branch so take my remarks with a grain of salt.
I would seal the ends pronto, split the staves and remove the bark.
On most whitewoods the bark will come off quickly and easily soon after they are cut if cut during the growing season.
Wait a month and that bark will cement itself to the stave.

I straddle the log when splitting.
I split using an old camp hatchet, 2 lb hand-sledge and 2 iron wedges. I just alternate them. Nice leather gloves and safety glasses are a must especially if a piece of iron flies off one of the wedges.
I split in halves, then quarters and so on. I start the split on the small end.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:24 am »
When was the wood cut and how has it been stored? What did your friend cover the wood with while storing it.  The reason I ask is ash, like most whitewoods is very susceptible to fungal infection and once cut it can be infected easily if not stored properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:51:31 am »
I have made several bows from ash. Not certain on species specifically.  But I will tell you this for a fact. If the rings are very porous walk away. Use it fore something else. Just not bows or arrows. It breaks too dang easy. Broke every one I made that had more early wood than late but ever one that had good late and less early wood, I got fine bows of.

Get the logs off the ground and paint the ends with cheap latex paint. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:42 am »
I have made tvo bows of different design from european ash,one mollegabet and a elb style bow and im very happy with both.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 10:38:18 am »
...at least split them in half to let them release their moisture, seal the ends and store them under cover with good air circulation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:39:15 am »
Jawge - Thanks for the splitting advice.  Since you chimed in, I'd like to say that your site has also been a good learning tool, so thanks for your efforts in putting it together!

Pat B. - All the cutting happened yesterday afternoon.  For the moment, my friend plans on keeping it in some kind of bucket in some kind of big machinery he has and covering it with a tarp.  The wood has been like that for the past 18 hours.

sleek - I was thinking of having him paint the cut ends yesterday, but I'm glad I waited!  I'll see if he can take a few pictures of the cut ends and I'll try to get them posted when I get them (as I'm not too terribly familiar with ash).

dbb - That's good to hear!  From what I've read, it seems most ash will make a good bow if you make it right (and if it's in the right condition, which was the main point of my post).

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:02 am »
And Pat, while ideally I would do what you just suggested, I nor my friend (who is more than willing to help me split the stuff) will have any time to get to it until at least after Father's Day.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 10:47:36 am »
If you can't split it until after Fathers Day you should at least store it in the dry. Two weeks is plenty of time for fungi to get established and ash would be very susceptible.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 10:55:09 am »
Well, I'll take that into strong consideration, Pat.  I guess, for now, I'll hold off until I can see some pictures of what the cut ends look like.  I'd hate to spend a ton of time driving to his place only to find the wood is mostly early wood (as sleek brought up).

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 10:26:04 pm »
Well, here's some more pictures of the cut ends of the tree.  Unfortunately, my friend had a busy weekend, so he just took these pictures an hour ago.  If things don't look too bad from the pictures, I think I might have some time to swing to his place tomorrow.  If it's too late for this pile of wood (or if the rings indicate more early wood than late wood), then to the fire wood pile it will go.

Thanks again for your input!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 11:44:44 pm »
Fungi thrives in a moist environment. The sooner you get it in the dry, the better. Splitting will give the moisture a place to escape. During the warmer months the sooner moisture reduction begins, the better.