Author Topic: Black bear in Indiana- 144 years since last sighting  (Read 4862 times)

Offline TRACY

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black bear in Indiana- 144 years since last sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:58:25 pm »
That is cool. We have lots of bears here. In Asheville, NC the DNR has tagged 30 to 40 bears that live in the city limits so they can follow their movements.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:17:33 pm »
Very cool Tracy.  There have been quite a few black bear sightings in the Cincinnati area also. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
They are slowly coming back in Alabama too.  We have had an increase in bear sightings the last few years.  In Meridian, MS a few months ago, a black bear was caught on surveillance cameras on the campus of the Meridian Community College - not sure what he learned there....   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:47:01 pm »
I'm hoosier-born.  Remember when deer were a rarity and sighting one whilst rabbit hunting was a total thrill.  Now bears in IN are being seen.
WoooooHoooooo!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:18:29 am »
I love to see any animal coming back into its former habitat.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »
 Hoping for a sighting, too, in Florida as soon as I get picked for the new bear hunt. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
I hear you Eddie.  I hope I live long enough to see a huntable population here. I spend a bunch of time in the woods and in my fifty years, i have only seen two bears in the wild in my county.  It is good to hear about their numbers rebounding.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:11 pm »
Howard, when I had a lease in Ocala National Forest 4 years ago, we could not sit in a stand without seeing a bear. They tore up the cook building, carried off deer in coolers, and destroyed feeders. We have a good , sustainable climate in Florida for a lot of species to make a comeback. It didn't take long for the Gators to be a money maker for Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »
We kicked him out of here and sent him packing south! Enjoy Tracy!

Bears have been making southern Michigan appearances quite regularly the last decade, I knew it was a matter of time before they headed south.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:18:11 am »
Cool, we have a lot in East TN. but none around home that I have ever heard of, hope they don't do like the Turkeys if they ever do wander back in our area or hogs in the west part of the state.  :) Maybe they would eat the Coyotes  >:D ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:16:51 am »
We kicked him out of here and sent him packing south! Enjoy Tracy!

Bears have been making southern Michigan appearances quite regularly the last decade, I knew it was a matter of time before they headed south.

I believe you Pearly. Spent many years hunting in the Manistee in the Baldwin area and saw the bears move south into that area. Even got lucky enough to help dnr locate a sow with cubs on a two track I was hunting off,of.

IDNR reports the bear is headed west toward Chicago >:D

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:40:13 pm »
Chicago makes sense; his Cubs live there!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »
And killer pizza.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 08:57:47 am »
Good news....we have a few here where I live in pa. We had a "problem" bear removed from our neighborhood this spring by the game commission ...he tore up some things on my parents property. Every spring they like to get into peoples stuff. Over in the mountains more there's a whole lot of bears,and every hunting season someone tags a 700-800 lb bear...thats a big beast. Pa grows some of the biggest black bears in the world. Perfect habitat for em.