Author Topic: medic!!!!  (Read 1995 times)

Offline jayman448

medic!!!!
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:55:22 am »
somehow a tiny piece of obsidian found its way between my pant leg and my sock, and has become lodged in my inner ankle bone area. i pulled out as much as i could and let it be as i thought it was all out. a week later i think there is still some in there. should i be worried? will it come out do u think? ive heard these damn horror stories that a piece of glass finds its way into the bloodstream and gets into the brain and wreaks havok, any thoughts?? time to see a quack?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: medic!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:40 am »
I have had glass in me before from time to time that I couldn't get it all out, it always festers after a while and worked itself out. :) Never heard of what you speak of about the blood stream. :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:45:28 am »
After an auto accident I had windshield glass work its way out of my scalp and arm a year later.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:12:33 am »
I heard a guy soak his hand in Epsom salt to draw out FG. Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:58:51 am »
Unfair to ask us medical advice. Especially since we can't even see a picture
of your situation. The travel through your blood stream roumer was common
 when I was a kid. I'd google it to see if there is any validity.
If the sliver is in muscle it should fester a bit and you could possibly squeeze
it out. Soaking is good. Wash clean, a shot of hydrogen peroxide and apply
antibiotic cream. Wrap loosly with a gause bandage.
Or see a quack if it could possibly sever an artery/ vein. That is if you can afford one. Good luck
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:59 pm »

I wouldn't worry about.  It happens frequently.  I think everyone on here that knapps, has had that problem.  I had a piece get in my shoe, and then in a VERY hard to reach part of my left big toe.  I had to do weird yoga like positioning to even try to get to it.  Finally about a year, later, it came to surface enough for me to twist, and contort my body enough to dig at it with a needle, to get it out.  I had an old Tryon style single shot muzzle loading shotgun, my Grand father had given me as a child.  Not knowing any difference in powders, and pressures, etc.  I would load it with 410 shot gun powder, and then put paper wadding in, and then dump in the shot, and then more paper, and then a "Greeney Stickem cap" which was for cap pistols, but it worked for the nipple of this old gun, and it would fire quite well.  However, I ran out of old 410 shells, and had my trusty homemade powder horn, into which I had dumped the contents of a couple of M-80's.  Sooooooo. I took my trusty powder horn, and proceeded to load the old gun.  I had just put the wadding over the steel ball bearing, I was using for a shot, and was putting the stickem cap on, when my Dad came out and asked me what I was doing, and I told him I was going to shoot Grandpa's old gun again, so he stood there watching as I aimed at a tree, 50yds away, and pulled the trigger.  KABOOOOOOM!!!!!!! :o :o :o  Well the stock was on the ground, and the barrel was on the ground a few feet away from the stock, with a nice curve to it, and the bottom of the breech was all flared out. Thank God it was the bottom, and not the top.  My arm was bleeding, and I had a nice wound on my left forearm, where metal, wood, and other forms of shrapnel went through.  My Mother yelled what the hell was that?!  My Dad in his ever present lack of tactful way of saying things, said, "Oh Way just blew his arm off.  WEll she comes running out, and I ended up at the Doctors office, getting the wound cleaned out, and sewed up.   Years after that, I would be sitting in class in High School, and I would notice some black spots, on the scar tissue, so I would squeeze the area, and a splinter would pop out, and I would pull it the rest of the way out.  So it may come out sooner, ........ or later. ;)  Epsom Salts is quite useful for many things, and it is good for your sliver.  Hydrogen peroxide is excellent also.  But eventually it will work itself out.   ;)

Wayne

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:45 pm »
Ok. So long as the general consescus is i wont die im happy xD

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 06:47:47 am »
@ Stickbender...
Great story, I can just picture it  :laugh:
I've managed to cut my left hand twice in a week, craft knife then an axe.. ::), fortunately, I was just tapping the axe onto a sliver of wood to split off a bit for pegging a knot on a bow. I knew it was daft, but I thought... "I'll just.... "  ::)
Those Steri-Strips certainly close up a cut nicely and get it healing. The first one has healed up in 5 days :)
Del
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:51:18 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.