Author Topic: Rock ID?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline dueb

Rock ID?
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »
Let me start by saying I know nothing about rocks and geology, and little to nothing about knapping. However I am interested to get into it and start breaking some rocks. I sort of had an idea of what to look for when I went hunting for rocks and brought home the best I could find. I'm wondering if any of you could identify these rocks and let me know if they might be knappable, maybe with heat treating. I broke some little pieces off by smashing them on some bigger stones and I highlighted in red where the interior of the rocks are. Let me know what you guys think, thanks! :)

Pictures are here -> http://imgur.com/a/ZFMdS
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline TRACY

Re: Rock ID?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »
Most of it looks a little tough. The piece in the upper right looks like onandaga maybe?if so it is knappable as is. Others from east coast can offer a more info. Welcome and good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline dueb

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »
Thanks for the input Tracy! :)
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 06:53:39 pm »
It looks like most of it is quartzite and the black one may be low grade normanskill. The quartzite looks like it might be pretty good quality.  I will not mince words here,Quartzite is tough material and most will  not even touch it. There are a few of us here that do and if you aren't afraid to travel I can hook you up with some guys who will teach you to knap it. Actually there are some in Upper New York, one of them even frequents here. there is a gathering in July that gather just for this stuff in Virginia.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »
I used to live in MA and never saw any knappable rocks. I can send you a starter box of obsidian flakes if you want some good beginner material. The rocks you posted look like quartzite and other mystery rocks which would be near impossible to learn on.
PM me if you want some obsidian.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"