Author Topic: Knapping Floor Tile  (Read 12900 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Knapping Floor Tile
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:09 pm »
Got some floor tile videos in the works.  The first one is up...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKXPn1BDzI

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

Re: Knapping Floor Tile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:52:48 pm »
Your wife's going to be mad when she sees missing tiles in the house Patrick >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:31:19 pm »
Sweet
How many broken tiles you want.
Try leaving the Made In Italy stamp on them. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:30:38 pm »
Got some floor tile videos in the works.  The first one is up...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKXPn1BDzI

Didn't you just tell someone in PA mag tile was not good material? Porcelain is the best in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:37:45 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:31 pm »
Didn't you just tell someone in PA mag tile was not good material? Porcelain is the best in my opinion.

Yep, I don't recommend it.  But it's one of only a few options for a lot of people.  And it's cheap.  High quality porcelain, in large quantities, is difficult to find in my experience.

And besides, that's why the vid is in the "Rock Challenge" video series.  If I thought it was good, I would have put it in a "Really Cool Materials" video series.   >:D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:29 pm »
Tracy, that's funny.  But I have plenty of cut-offs.  I think she gets mad enough that I saved a pile of them...

Zuma, see comment above.   ;)  (and I didn't notice the "Made in Italy" stamp...  that's a good idea)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:57:12 pm »
If you go to HD and look for the quality "Made in Italy" tile, you will be real surprised how easy it pressure flakes. :). And, it's cheap.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
I'll look for it.... 

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 12:59:45 am »

Yep, I don't recommend it.  But it's one of only a few options for a lot of people.  And it's cheap.  High quality porcelain, in large quantities, is difficult to find in my experience.

And besides, that's why the vid is in the "Rock Challenge" video series.  If I thought it was good, I would have put it in a "Really Cool Materials" video series.   >:D

I think you are not understanding......there are porcelain tiles, clay tiles, and ceramic tiles. They are not the same in quality, and even porcelain tile varies in quality. I like the darker colored porcelain tile as it tends to flake much better, and like Eddie said Italian porcelain tile (some) is very good flaking material. I have found tile that flakes nice, yet the tile was very thin and only allowed for small points.... :-\ :-\

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 02:08:30 am »
Ok, it looks like some of you guys are tile connoisseurs.   ;)  Below is an explanation of what I know so far.  I'm posting it here for those who are new to all this.  (you can cover eyes and plug your ears now   :P)

In general, tile used for floors is more dense and finer-grained than wall tile.  That's why I used the term "floor tile" in the videos even though I'm technically using "porcelain tile" (we ordered an interior tile that absorbs very little water).

Ceramic or porcelain tile is practically identical and differs only in name when you are talking about interior tiles.  Exterior tiles are made to be impervious to water, but you have to specify it.  As for how it knaps, I need to try some but I'm willing to bet there's not much difference.

So far, all the floor tile I've knapped is basically the same.  There are slight differences in texture but it's all brittle and not easy to run flakes on.  There appears to be some tiles that approach the quality of glass, and I have to admit that I haven't knapped the good stuff that some of you guys seem to have found...

Anyways, I've received many questions about tile from all over the place.  I'm talking to a guy in Russia right now.  Who knows how tile is graded over there?  But I won't confuse the issue by telling him to look for "porcelain".

So that's my take on it.  Looks like this can become a very good topic for discussion and I welcome anyone who want to add their experiences  (especially those who know more about this than I do).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:15:13 am by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 12:58:31 pm »
Jack,

T o say tile is tile, is like saying rock is rock...you should do more research....IMO

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »
Yes, I should.  Sounds like fun (I get to stroll the isles of my favorite place...).

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24:31 pm »
I would like to try some tile if anyone has more advice on the good stuff. . .how do I tell what will pressure flake well?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:37:41 pm »
Jeff,

Since no one has answered so far (it's still early, I know) I'll give it a shot.  I went out and bought a bunch of ceramic and porcelain tile right after my last post and knapped it.  (I went to Home Depot)  The "best" seems to be porcelain floor tile and bullnose trim that actually has the words "PREMIUM PORCELAIN" imprinted on the back.  Here are my results so far in order of flake quality (from best to worst):

Premium Porcelain bullnose trim (dark grey)
Premium Porcelain floor (dark gray)
Ceramic bullnose trim (dark red)
Porcelain floor (tan)
Ceramic floor (dark red)
Ceramic wall (dark red)
Porcelain floor (dark red)

Imitation Saltillo Tile (terra cotta)  Note: grey on the inside and knaps horribly.
Ceramic wall tile (white) Note:  this stuff is worse than sink/toilet ceramic.

Bullnose trim is thinner than the floor tile, and comes in smaller pieces, but seems to be the best quality.   And the color in parenthesis is the actual color of the inside/back of the tile, not the color of the hard surface.

I haven't tried authentic clay tile, or clay pots (for potting plants) but I will soon.  I probably won't try Travertine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:03:46 pm by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:39 pm »
Jeff,

Since no one has answered so far (it's still early, I know) I'll give it a shot.  I went out and bought a bunch of ceramic and porcelain tile right after my last post and knapped it.  (I went to Home Depot)  The "best" seems to be porcelain floor tile and bullnose trim that actually has the words "PREMIUM PORCELAIN" imprinted on the back.  Here are my results so far in order of flake quality (from best to worst):

Premium Porcelain bullnose trim (dark grey)
Premium Porcelain floor (dark gray)
Ceramic bullnose trim (dark red)
Porcelain floor (tan)
Ceramic floor (dark red)
Ceramic wall (dark red)
Porcelain floor (dark red)

Imitation Saltillo Tile (terra cotta)  Note: grey on the inside and knaps horribly.
Ceramic wall tile (white) Note:  this stuff is worse than sink/toilet ceramic.

Bullnose trim is thinner than the floor tile, and comes in smaller pieces, but seems to be the best quality.   And the color in parenthesis is the actual color of the inside/back of the tile, not the color of the hard surface.

I haven't tried authentic clay tile, or clay pots (for potting plants) but I will soon.  I probably won't try Travertine.

Yep, that's about right......but, new tile comes in now and then check it for quality...you never know! :)