Author Topic: Elm Hall 2015  (Read 37279 times)

owlbait

Re: Elm Hall 2015
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »
You would love Elm Hall Guy! Somehow I get through the background check every time I go. You would be a celebrity there, although, one of many!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2015, 08:44:11 pm »
I'm with Ed on the primitive fire making. We could work together to try and make one. Does anyone know what materials work best for the main parts?

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »
For fire makin material i like to use the inner fiber of dead bark hangin on a dead limb.( can't tell ya what kind o tree, have used many) and pine resin.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:50 pm »

I'm glad to see all the  interest in the Primitive fire making.  It is something I've wanted to try to do ever since I was little kid, so hopefully we can make it happen at Elm hall!

I'll start to look up some of best woods for the different parts of the bow set up.  I figured that making the bow itself will be pretty easy.  It's The wood for the spindle and the actual lower board or fireboard that I'm not sure of.

Any suggestions?
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2015, 12:33:50 pm »
I know Elm Hall is a great event just to far by myself and makes 2 weekends in a row in that state up north !!
a lot of things have to come together just right to get there or I would have been there many times by now

Bow drill easiest materials to use for beginners is Yucca drill on Yucca fire board  lay it on a dry piece of Shagbark Hickory bark them big scales are sturdy and tuff
for you folks that get to the Cloverdale shoot the fields around there are littered with little Geodes that are split in half already by frost they are sweet bearing blocks
Hickory or Elm sprigs make good tuff bows in case you did not already know
but string is a differant matter so you folks figure out that part
can't give you all the good clues right off now can I ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2015, 07:02:53 am »
@Guy...you just need to move to Mi.... :laugh: seems like your up there more than home ;)

Two more weeks!!!! Hopefully I make it there  8)

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 11:31:51 am »
Thanks for the tips Guy, I'll look for a yucca shoot but there are not a lot around middle Tennessee.  Hopefully you can make it.  It would be good to see you,,,,,,and it sounds like you would be the perfect teacher for the primitive fire making.

Glad to here that your coming also Chris, I love checking out your bows.
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »
I just may be there . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2015, 09:52:56 am »
That'd be cool Mr Mike. I could use the shooting lessons.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
Man Pearlie, sure wish they put on lunch and supper. Made it to the Barryton shoot and 2 rounds of shooting between big meals was perfect! :) Hope you put the targets Owlbait close!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 04:23:26 am »
Be setting there a week from about right now. !!!!!!  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:56 am »
If work allows, I'm gonna try to come up Thursday evening.  If not it will be bright and early Friday morning.  I think the grandson is going to come also.  He loved Twin Oaks this past weekend.

David

Offline Rocky

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:00 am »
Grandpa Dave. Sounds respectable. I like it!! My grandkids will be there too along with lots of others. See you soon Dave!

Rocky

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2015, 06:56:05 am »
Cool beans Dave!

See you fella's real soon. Jake and I will roll in Thursday morning with the sunrise.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
I was really going to try and make it up there this year but work is getting in the way. I have to go to North Florida next week and train a Driller and get a job started off.Maybe next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?