Author Topic: Dalton  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Ghost Knapper

Dalton
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:53:55 pm »
Didn't get this in last month and it isn't a Sloan but still a dalton. Made a another today but havent taken a picture of it yet. This one is maybe an inch or two in length. Enjoy.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Dalton
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:14:54 pm »
Sweeet!   8)  Love the photography too.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:26:16 pm »
I really like the black rock. It looks like Kanawha WV chert. Those dark points just look old and ancient to me. Good one and the photography is really good also.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turbo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:46:18 am »
Yeah, great job on both point and photography. What did you use to photograph that point? Dark points are hard to get right on photos.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:31:54 pm by turbo »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:30 am »
Deffinantly a dalton. Nice work!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:19:13 am »
Like everyone else said. Looks ancient nice work.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:20:39 am »
Nice Ghost.
Did you photograph that one on a suspended
piece of glass?
A re sharpened version. More the way they are found.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:18 am »
I'm like everyone else, admiring the point and how it was photographed. Whatever technique you used for that picture is as impressive as the point! I am hoping you share how you did it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 11:47:57 am »
That is cool 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 02:14:36 pm »
I agree with all the rest. That is fine work, a keeper for sure.

WA

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:42:39 pm »
Thanks for all the compliments. I have started a keeper case of the personal best of each point style that I can make and that one so far has the "dalton" spot. When I make one that I feel is better weather artistic or authentic wise it will get replaced. I have never done a case like that usually if it goes in it stays in unless its a case of points for sale. The case so far has that dalton, a susquehanna made of texas material, a perkiomen made of PA jasper, a georgetown hardin, a snyders made from onondaga, and my "best failure" so far....that one will most likely never leave that spot in the case, some of you have saw it for those that havent I will post a pic sometime.

So to answer the photography questions. First off I never (well hardly ever) modify a point that I photograph, but I do modify the photograph itself. Below is an example, the point is "identical" in both but its  surroundings changed in photoshop. I took the picture at a spring knap-in (Oregon Ridge). I liked the burlap background but wanted to make it less busy. So once again I did not alter the point just its surroundings.

When photographing anything good light is key. If you have bad light you most likely will have a bad photo. So for this one I used the sun to light the point, but placed a whitish card on the opposite side of the point to bounce some light back to it, you can see the card in the first photo. Dark points like the dalton in the original post really pop when you place a fill card (anything white) on the opposite side of the light source weather its the sun, an off camera flash, or a table lamp. It helps to fill in the shadowy areas. So thats the gist of it. If anyone wants I can explain alittle more how I photograph my points with ways that you can do with a simple digital camera.

nclonghunter- Im not 100% sure the material, its definitely out of either new york or ohio
Zuma- Nice attempt at figuring out how I photographed it. I spent my drive home from work (about 30min) figuring out how to duplicate it that way you thought it was originally done, I am so going to try it. I got it all figured out except how to get the glass perfectly clean. Hopefully I can post my attempt soon!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 11:39:10 pm »
That is some wild looking stone  :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline turbo

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:45 am »
If anyone wants I can explain alittle more how I photograph my points with ways that you can do with a simple digital camera.

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, I'd like to know more. Being camera poor, how could one get a decent pic w/ an iPhone and no Photoshop?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:48:18 pm »
We need to have banner photos. That last one would make it for sure.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 03:23:10 pm »
Getting good photos of the point of the month,--
that is if they are going to be featured in the PA mag
would be quite important.
Good thread. :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.