Author Topic: tiller-a-long. hickory heat treated self bow.  (Read 4839 times)

Offline chef-d405

tiller-a-long. hickory heat treated self bow.
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
Hey all. Thought I'd post some pics as i tiller this bow. Been holding off on finishing it. Record rainfall has consistently kept humidity high. Rain is finally gone as of about 4 days ago. I left this stave in my truck for the last 2 days as a makeshift hot box to dry it out. First pic is about 3" of pull on the tillering board. Stave is reflexed a bit post heat treating. I think i needed more floor tiller bend pre heat treating. I'm worried i may tiller the heat treatment out. Still way too stiff mid limb to me. Right limb slightly stiffer than the left.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: tiller-a-long. hickory heat treated self bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:04:43 pm »
Pix?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:05:35 pm »
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/bowyer580/?action=view&current=tiller1resize_zpsa5356645.jpg

My image didn't post... lets try again. Technical difficulties.... okay apparently i can't post images as an upload off my phone... gimme a minute.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:24:26 pm by chef-d405 »

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »
Can you guys view it from the photobucket link?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »
I can view it from the link.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:25 pm »
Copy the link that says IMG into the text box on Primitive Archer. It's on the right side.
Springfield, MO

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »

That work?

This thing is about to drive me to bourbon-30 time lol.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:56:42 pm by chef-d405 »

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:31:33 pm »

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/bowyer580/media/tiller2_zps431ee93a.jpg.html

there.... hopefully between the link drop and the img you guys can see it. getting close to brace. pulling 55lb at this bend.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
Copy and paste the img code at the bottom of the urls list

Offline chef-d405

Hey all. My phone went down for a bit had to get a new one. I had this bow finished and I got stupid with it trying to show it to my girlfriend. I stopped an inch short of my full draw with it 55lb at 28. She got home from work and I went to string and draw it. Didn't exercise it at all when I strung it just jerked it back to full draw without even thinking about tiller being short and bang. Firewood. Tiller pics are on my dead phone so I dunno if it will be recoverable. At previous tiller it had lost most of the heated reflex but held just over a straight bow. That says something for the heat treatment as most of my hickory bows follow the string an inch or so. I haven't broken one in a while so I figure my dues were up. This bow had a slight grain violation but the break didn't follow it. I also thought it was odd that it looks like it started as a tension break across the back. I'm hoping this new phone will let me post pics. About to try it. First pic is the belly, second is the back, third is a side view. Top limb about 8" above the fade. Same spot that tried to hinge on me a bit about halfway through tiller. Must have weakened it there a bit.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:56:05 pm »
each broken bow is a lesson learned. hopefully

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 06:55:55 pm »
Sorry 4 the bad break!looks like lumber of the fungus variety. Sound hickory doesn't break like that.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:32 pm »
 Thinking low mc. Wood seemed sound. I dried the stave for 2 days in my truck though because humidity has been way high I estimated equilibrium at about 12%. It was kept indoors though so I may have been wrong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »
Hickory shines at 6% M/C. I agree with bushboy. I also think it is fungus. Sound hickory just doesn't break like that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 12:16:22 am »
I'll take your word for it. Being as this wood worked and looked completely normal to me, what signs should I be looking for as far as tells for this?