Author Topic: my theory  (Read 5379 times)

Offline jayman448

my theory
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:40:36 pm »
I have been looking at trees that make bows (obgiously) as i dont know much and hope do know all xD haha. So anyways... is it safe to say any tree that produces flowers or fruit will make a bow? If so thatd be a real easy guide to newbies such as myself xD. Feel free to tell me how off the mark i am

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: my theory
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 06:48:58 pm »
Errr ... don't all trees produce flowers and fruit?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »
Not pine or birch or willow or spruce or maple. But pear, cherry juniper saskatoon hawthorn etc. Do and all make bows

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:34:21 pm »
I've heard it said that if you make it long enough and wide enough and you can make a bow out of just about anything.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=8695.0

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:00:29 pm »
Pines, birches, spruce, maple, etc., etc.. etc. all have flowers and fruit, maybe not the poseys you might be thinking of but flowers none the less.
 To answer the original question...no, not all flowering and fruiting trees are appropriate for making bows. Most hardwoods and some soft woods will make bows with the proper design for the woods characteristics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 08:09:45 pm »
Not pine or birch or willow or spruce or maple. But pear, cherry juniper saskatoon hawthorn etc. Do and all make bows

Maple does make bows sugar/hard maple makes great bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »
I've never seen flowers on pine, birches and maple, Pat.
Am I missing something?
Never mind...I probably am. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:57:39 pm »
Many tree flowers are tiny. What you see as a faint mist of color in Spring is thousands of tiny flowers.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Sugar+Maple+Tree+Flowers&FORM=IRTRRL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49:09 pm »
Where does the pollen come from George?   ;)  I pine flower cluster eventually becomes a pine cone with pine nuts, Birches have catkins(flower cluster) and maples have flowers like in PatM's link.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:58:33 am »
bubby, i know maple and other such make fine bows. i was figuring if as a guide it could be assumed that fruit and flower producing trees will make bows (as a starter) (i know anything that produces an actual flower or fruit is different on the cellular level so i was putting two and two together). i guess if you consider newgrowth and cones as flowers and fruit then my hunch is totally off base. but to my origional quistion... is it pretty well fair to say that most trees that produce typical flowers and fruit bow worthy? my question also stems from a lack of knowledge i guess : it seems out here no one knows what the heck is growing. i ask people and i get the same answer every time... der.. um... its a kind of willow i guess. so when one is totally unlearned in trees as i am and has equally unknowing counterparts, would this be a good starting point? (obviously yes but only if my assumption can be held relatively true)

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:57 am »
p.s., i appologize now for my past, present, and future silly comments and questions... XD

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:25:47 am »
p.s., i appologize now for my past, present, and future silly comments and questions... XD
Don't worry, we are all daft here... just in different ways ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 04:51:58 am »
I would say in general fruit trees the answer is yes, flowers ,not so sure ,I think I know the kind of fruit you are talking about/apples/pears/plumbs and such. I knew the Maple would get
some comments. ??? Believe me there are no silly questions around here so no apology needed. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:58:52 am »
Sour Cherry, we call them Pin Cherry, does produce fruit but is a very low density wood.  You can make a bow out of it but I wouldn't waste my time with it. 

Some trees do not produce fruit at all and make great bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DavidV

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
It's always been a general rule here that most trees that produce fruits or nuts will make a bow. I don't know about visible flowers as tulip poplar, mimosa, and magnolia aren't tauted as bow woods very often.
Springfield, MO