Author Topic: Osage splitting when heating  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Badger

Osage splitting when heating
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
   I use a cawl on all my osage with heat. I have had the occassional crack appear when the moisture has been too high. The piece I am working now I thought to be dry yet I did get a small crack that I am not worried out. I have to wonder now if the wood doesn't have higher moisture than I thought it had. Anyone else ever have a crack open up on dry osage when heating. The crack was not there before heating.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Osage splitting when heating
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:09:27 pm »
A bunch of times. I keep superglue handy and hit the crack when it first appears no matter how small. This always stops them and they tend to be invisible on a finished bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
I do the same as Eric. I also seal any newly exposed back with shellac, no matter how old or dry the stave is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:27:21 pm »
More often than not for me, but I seem to gravitate to the staves that require more correction.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »
I do the same as Eric. I also seal any newly exposed back with shellac, no matter how old or dry the stave is.
+1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:46 pm »
Steve it has to be "wetter" than you perceive it to be. No other reason I can think the osage would rupture like that. Ive had it happen plenty of times myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:06 pm »
I've had 20 year old staves crack while reflexing them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »
20 years old doesn't always mean dry though. If a 20 year old stave is stored in 70% humidity for a month its not dry enough to work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:10:23 pm »
      I am kind of like Pearl, it never surprises me when the moisture is in question. The bow didn't take any real set as I was finishing so I went ahead and finished but I am going to stick it in my car for a couple of weeks and see if it gains weight before I do the finish work on it. The crack closed up once it cooled down and is barely visible if you are looking for it. Going to give it a touch of superglue and forget about it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 02:17:49 pm »
Its similar to how we can rough out a green stave and have it dry in 2-3 months. Its all about the humidity it lives in.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 03:28:55 pm »
Years ago we had some abnormally dry weather, bluebird days with very low humidity. I had some seasoned osage staves in my garage, to my horror, when I looked at them they were riddled with hairline cracks down the backs. I thought they were toast but looked at them again several days later and I couldn't find the first crack, they had all closed up with the return of normal humidity. This was before I learned to shellac my staves.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:33:29 pm »
  This one only opened up slightly on the belly side. My bows usually settle in at about 8% in my coastal california climate. I can live with that pretty well. Humidity runs about 50% but slightly drier indoors.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »
  This one only opened up slightly on the belly side. My bows usually settle in at about 8% in my coastal california climate. I can live with that pretty well. Humidity runs about 50% but slightly drier indoors.
Do you find 8% MC too low for some woods?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:37:23 pm »
I haven't experienced that as a problem. I've had very, very few develop cracks when heating to make corrections. I use no oil or crisco or anything.

I try to do the major corrections while they're green, with steam. When they're dry, I use the heat gun. But you guys are really making me wonder what I do differently than you... maybe I heat slower, or dont get them as hot? maybe I've just been lucky :^)

I live in western Pa, one of the cloudiest and rainiest parts of the country. All of my wood is in my garage or shop. I do keep staves I'm working on in my drying box. In my shop now I have a dehumidifier running, so things are fairly dry and stable there in spite of what's going on outside.

I don't ALWAYS re-seal the stave's back after exposing a new ring. If it feels dry, 'rings out' sufficiently while bouncing
an end off the cement floor, or reads dry with my moisture meter, I don't shellac them and they're just fine... again though, maybe it's the relatively stable environment. Not sure why, but cracks while heat correcting, reflexing, or recurving hasnt been a problem for me.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »
  Considering how many osage bows I have built I would say I have had very, very few develop cracks when heating or storing. I never seal the back once I have roughed a bow out unless I know the bow to be green. If a stave is 6 months old I feel pretty confident in roughing it out and not sealing.
I haven't experienced that as a problem. I've had very, very few develop cracks when heating to make corrections. I use no oil or crisco or anything.

I try to do the major corrections while they're green, with steam. When they're dry, I use the heat gun. But you guys are really making me wonder what I do differently than you... maybe I heat slower, or dont get them as hot? maybe I've just been lucky :^)

I live in western Pa, one of the cloudiest and rainiest parts of the country. All of my wood is in my garage or shop. I do keep staves I'm working on in my drying box. In my shop now I have a dehumidifier running, so things are fairly dry and stable there in spite of what's going on outside.

I don't ALWAYS re-seal the stave's back after exposing a new ring. If it feels dry, 'rings out' sufficiently while bouncing
an end off the cement floor, or reads dry with my moisture meter, I don't shellac them and they're just fine... again though, maybe it's the relatively stable environment. Not sure why, but cracks while heat correcting, reflexing, or recurving hasnt been a problem for me.

This in my first dry stave to crack with well over 1,000 osage bows under my belt now. I don't plan to change anything if only one in a thousand develops a micro crack. I am going with the theory that I just thought it was dry and it wasn't.

I have never found any need in sealing the back on a dried stave either. Green staves I don't take a chance on and rub the back down with whiteglue.