Author Topic: purple heart bow design?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline chef-d405

purple heart bow design?
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:18:50 am »
Hey all. Although I'm new to this forum, I am a long time reader of the magazine and I have been shooting self bows for 7ish years. I have a couple dozen finished bows under my belt. I have used this forum for reference in the past and I have always found it very helpful. I recently inherited a beautiful stave of purple heart from the widow of a bowyer who passed away. I would like to make it a fine bow in his honor. the stave measures 73" long by 1 1/2 " wide by 3/4" thick. Given the stave's dimensions. I feel an evenly bending D tiller may be my best bet. non- narrowed handle with slight bend. Shooting for 55-60 lb @ 29" I'm somewhat unfamiliar with purple heart as a bow wood however the density and feel of it reminds me of hickory, which is my usual preferred wood to work with for bows. I would like some suggestions on this wood before I take tools to it. Thanks!

Offline paulsemp

Re: purple heart bow design?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:25:20 am »
I would say definitely needs a backing. Have had poor turn out as a belly. Probably best as a core on a tri lam. Have no personal experience to share on that but seen many others use as core

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:41:21 am »
It will make a belly but you'd better be good at tillering because it will chrysal quickly.
As Paul said it's mainly used as a core wood. Your piece is a good size for an elb. Be aware that the colour will fade to gray eventually.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 02:41:58 am »
  Purple heart is not a very good bow wood. I have made a few purple heart bows years ago. It is prone to chysaling and sudden unexpected failures.

Offline chef-d405

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:53:29 am »
Thanks guys. I'd hate to blow this thing apart out of my own ignorance. I'm plentt familiar with that heart sinking feeling that follows a loud "crack."

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:03:40 am »
I would back it with maple and stay as wide as possible at fades straight taper to tips
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »
I have one in the works as well. It throws slivers like no other, and it is hard. I am planning to back mine with bamboo.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.