Author Topic: My first knife build sheath finished and picture added on page 2  (Read 7090 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: My first knife build
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 10:16:01 pm »
Great looking knife.  Hickory Bill makes a fine knife blank. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:18:55 am »
I am impressed by the quality of the blank I got from Hickorybill, I know I will be calling him soon about some more blanks. I really   had a lot of fun and thinking time while trying to match the antler to the blank, It was all lopsided at first then I had to slice off more antler to make it a little more symmetrical, even tho it is still off it does fit my big fat mitt just right. I have been kicking the idea of making my own kiln from a brake drum,  some pipe and an old hair blower, and you guessed it DUCT TAPE!!!!! NOT TOO SURE IF i WANT TO TRY THAT ROUTE YET, JUST A THOUGHT. Wife will not know anything about it till it is done if I decide to build it. Money is not the issue as I will make it for free out of junk stuff, its the thought of high heat and me that would bother her, did I mention she keeps my life insurance policy( or shall I say, her life insurance policy on me) current!!! I still do not know why????
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 03:28:39 pm »

Like R.B. said, if that is your first knife, it looks like you have been building them for a while.  Very nice knife, I love that type of blade and handle shape, and the file work, is very nice.  Man, can't wait to see what you do next for the second knife.  Very nice over all.  I would definitely carry that one with pride.

Wayne

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »
Nice work, especially for a first!

Offline bronco611

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 12:00:01 am »
I am in the process of building my first sheath for this knife, gonna take a little time with work and all of the honey dos that I am always trying to get out of the way so I can play. I will add pics of the sheath when I finish it.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »
Mike, I think you did a heck of a job making that one. I'd be proud to carry it if I made it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bronco611

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:45 pm »
Mullet, I am gonna take it everywhere I go such as hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities and such. When I get around to making a larger version of this one then I may have to put it up on the wall unit with other things I have made  so I will always know where it is at just in case I need it. I love the flint knapped points you make and the blades, I make points but not with the quality that you and others on this forum knock out regularly. Hope to meet some of you one day at a knap in or something. Thank you for the compliment coming from a master craftsman with your talent that means a lot to me. I like the knife but I also see where I could have made things better but for my first I am pleased.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:05:43 pm by bronco611 »

Offline longbow man

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 10:15:11 am »
  Very impressive for a first knife. Better than mine was.

Offline bronco611

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 11:46:38 pm »
I have finished the sheath but cannot figure out how to load the picture. It is larger than 250 and I cannot figure out how to make it smaller. My cell phone camera will not take any smaller pictures? the pictures of the knife were imported by my daughter from another forum and posted on here but I cannot remember how she did it. It sucks getting old!!! I turned 55 yesterday and was trying to complete this thread then but what the heck!!! I will eventually figure out this darn putter thing-a-ma-jiggie!!!!

Offline bronco611

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 12:05:39 am »
I finally finished the sheath. It is made from scrap leather I had and the inlay is an eastern diamondback I got 2 years ago and have been saving it for a special project, I guess this one qualifies. I finished it on my 55th birthday so this is my present to myself. hope you like it. I figured it out!!!!!! Now you can see it!

Offline TRACY

Re: My first knife build sheath finished and picture added on page 2
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 11:47:38 am »
First? Beautiful knife! Love the detail work. Bet it's not your last either ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 08:09:10 pm »
That set is Sweet!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »
Great looking knife/sheath.  Proud to carry it most anywhere.  Sure ya got lotsa satisfaction from project well done!  Congrats!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bronco611

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 09:38:37 am »
thanks everyone for the comments. I enjoyed building it and plan on making more in the future but I have to many things on the back burner now but will get back to it later and post what I come up with when I finish them.

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 04:06:03 pm »
What a beautiful knife
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669