Author Topic: Can I flip this?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline J05H

Can I flip this?
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »
I'm not sure what will happen when I try to flip the tips on this one. Where the knot hole is on the belly, there is only a slight hump and a red spot on the back. I'm not talking about a full recurve, just slightly flipped, but the bend will be right where the knot is. Any suggestions or insights?

If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Can I flip this?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:18:11 pm »
Knots near the end like that make me nervous about flipping them.  I usually put it on my reflex caul and leave the tips alone.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:26:27 pm »
Go ahead and flip it, if you have 8" past the knot you can do a static
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:30 pm »
Anxious to see replies on this as i am literally pondering the exact same thing on a stave with a slightly bigger knot in about the exact same place as yours.  I think Im going to reflex at the handle and inch or two and heat treat but not flip the tips.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:06:27 am »
One thing I have learned is that slight hump will cause problems. It forces the wood to bend right where it shouldn't. Maybe cut a matching dip in the caul.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
I use wedges under it to spread out the bend properly.  Done it several times without problems.  Just put wedges under infront and behind pushing them in further where you need it to bend more. Have the tip and mid limb clamped down to do this.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline J05H

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:03:33 am »
So, the consensus seems to be that it's not a great idea, but there are ways to make it work. The important thing is to focus on just the tip, and leave the knot unbending. Have I got that right? I think I have a plan worked out, but I'm gonna think about for a few days before I do anything.Thanks for the advice guys, and if anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:41:16 am »
What you've got to ask yourself is how violated the grain is there - that determines how far you can push it. The sharpest recurves need one perfect ring on the belly, you obviously haven't got that....but it's quite hard to say how long the piece of string is!

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 09:00:57 am »
Mike he just wants to flip the tips he's fine for that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline J05H

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
Ok, here's where I'm at. I have about 1.5" of reflex and enough length that my string angle won't be too bad. It would probably be fine if I left it as is, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and try for very slight flipped tips. Here's what it looks like now. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: Now that I'm seeing this as a static pic, it looks like I need more reflex in the left limb to make them match. Any thoughts?