Author Topic: LINEN BACKING ON SAPLING BOWS ???  (Read 1901 times)

Offline bambam

LINEN BACKING ON SAPLING BOWS ???
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »
I have had good results on rawhide or linen backed red oak board bows but have been trying to do a true primitive. Got lots of big serviceberry here (known in Canada by the Cree name Saskatoon). My first one looked perfect on floor tillering and tillerboard, also test drawing. It de-laminated 2 growth rings on the back from a small knot I thought insignificant after a few shots. My current serviceberry project also seems tiller perfect but when I strung it tiny crack noises came from a pin knot area. Have a supply of beige natural linen and sinew cord. Thinking of backing it with linen and tight bond 3 then doing a cord wrap in problem knot are. The back of the bow is untouched except for bark removal.  Think this might work ???
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline bushboy

Re: LINEN BACKING ON SAPLING BOWS ???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:40:14 pm »
Never used saskatoon but it makes a great pie!lol!pics would help though.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »
Why isn't rawhide truly primitive
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 02:11:56 am »
On knotty backs i've had linen pop off when drawn. Currently, I tightly wrap inner bicycle tube around the limb, heat that to reliquify the hide glue, rub the limb with my hands to draw out excess glue, and let it cool. The next day I remove the tube and let it dry. This works fine for me.

Another thing with linen (raw flax): it's so strong (very high modulus of elasticity) that a small difference in placement (especially on knotty crowned backs) can make a big difference. Wheigh the amount to put on each limb carefully.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:03:53 am »
I think I'd try to find a more appropriate stave than try to fix a bad one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC