Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

siyahs

<< < (2/3) > >>

madmonk:
Spuce is also very strong for its weight. As siyahs don't need to bend, I think that would be a good choice, as well.

jbnizzle:
    Green Mulberry.
                             is what the Koreans use . Split it from a 6-9-10 inch log 18 inches long 1 1/2 inches wide boil wood for an hour.
                              #2.  after soaking wood in water" without mosquitos " for 1-2 weeks cover with cloth not necessary mainly to
                              protect your wifes microwave. Heat for 30 seconds at a time wood will heat up quickly . "Be Careful " use hand protection.

It is a learning process, I quickly found out you will need a bending Jig . Watch the Korean bow making videos
                              and you should be able to see how it s done. Amazing how easy they make it look.

Good Luck. If you have not learned already.

J.B.

jbnizzle:

The log is 9 inches wide 12 -18 inches long.
                                      Siyah  split rough is 1-2 inches wide.
                                        I have found the length of about 12-18 inches lets me get a great bend  at the angle
                                        I want , not what the wood can afford.

again good luck

BowEd:
Jeffery Schmidt  and John Mcphearson have a DVD out there that's informative.

scp:
If you are using maple for limbs, you can simply heat bend the tips instead of going through all the trouble. Is your main stave too short?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version