Author Topic: Splicing limb extensions  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Splicing limb extensions
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »
At one time I found an article posted concerning adding length to limbs by splicing an extension on the end of each limb. I can no longer find the post even by doing a google search.

Are any of you familiar with this process?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Splicing limb extensions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:49 pm »
You talking about V splicing in siyahs Fred?

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:16 pm »
Not siyahs per se. Just need more length on an osage sleeve T/D bow that I'm working on that will be comfortable for my 28" draw. Currently only have 48" of working limb and have had problems with finger pinch on shorter bows.

I don't particularly care for short draw bows.

I started this bow over 15 yrs ago and stashed it away. I've got a lot of wood but not a lot of length to work with.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:52:32 pm »
I shot with a guy a few years ago who had broken a laminated longbow (tri-lam) mid limb, and spliced a bi-lam longbow limb into it.  Looked amazing, and shot without a single problem.  Definitely possible with a long splice and flawless glue lines.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »
Sombody posted a holmgaard a while back with spliced in juniper levers
I like free stuff.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:32:21 pm »
I'm leaning toward a 4" v-splice on each end. Is that long enough? And how should the splice be oriented, toward the main limb  ---> >--------------< <--- or toward the extension ---< <------------> >---?

I'm assuming the V cut into the main body of the limb as on the left being that the tips will be narrowing at this stage.

Bow is currently 56" TTT, 1 1/2" at the fades narrowing to 5/8" at the very tip.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
I'm thinking that George Stoneburg did one a couple years back using a different species of wood for the tips. The contrasting wood looked awesome.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »
Yup fred it was gstoneberg go through his post should be an easy find
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »
Pg 10 in georges posts cedar and osage

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »
Thanks bubby, found it with your help. It looks like George used a W-splice and his limbs look thicker at the transition. I may not have enough depth to get away with it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »
 A simple v and an underlay plus wrapping will reinforce the splice just fine if your outer limb is already a bit shallow in depth.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »
Interested in seeing how yours works out. I have one I'm thinking about doing the same to.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 05:50:04 pm »
I did this with a standard vee splice and while the bow ultimately broke, it wasn't any where near the splices, no wraps or backing but it was a 35# bow

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »
PatM, That looks great.  Do I need to be concerned with keeping to one growth ring on the extension?

Do you remember how much width you had at the splice and was that approximately 4" splice?

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »
PatM, That looks great.  Do I need to be concerned with keeping to one growth ring on the extension?

Do you remember how much width you had at the splice and was that approximately 4" splice?
The extension can be flipped so the growth rings are edge-ringed. That is stiffer per mass and you can cut a back nock without worrying about growth ting separation.
  You only need about half an inch of width to cut the splice. It  can be flared out as needed. You only need about three inches of v. That one is about 3.5.