Author Topic: Rings on diffuse porous woods/should I back this thing?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Rings on diffuse porous woods/should I back this thing?
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:48 pm »
Hey guys,

Some of you might have saw me working on this bow at Marshall this weekend (Hi, I'm Tony. To the few people who might notice, I changed my username to something more ... fitting, for myself).

Once I got looking at it close enough, it looks like there are a few little spots on the back of the bow where I must have nicked it when removing the bark.  Given the nature of the wood (sugar maple), it's really hard to distinguish, but I am pretty sure I went through the outermost growth ring.

My initial reactions to this were: (1) it's so minor it might not matter, and (2) it's a diffuse porous wood that doesn't have "earlywood" and "latewood", so it might not matter. But then also (3), I have some rawhide and how hard would it be to back it anyways?

I know there will basically two reactions here. The first is the "Yes! Definitely back it!" The second, "Try it and see."

Part of me, the lazy/curious part, says just keep going and see what happens.

The safer part (which isn't very big), says play it safe and back it with rawhide.

I've tried to look up information and have come across some, but not a lot. Many places seem to suggest that maple should handle ring violations quite well. This post on PaleoPlanet goes into it a little bit.

My thinking is that because I'm fairly positive  it's just small holes in the outermost ring, and not past several, it might be OK. And because it's a diffuse porous wood, which should be pretty homogenous as far as density goes, it might not be a big deal at all. It's not like osage/locust/ash/elm/oak/any other ring porous wood, with brittle early growth; it's basically just a solid hunk of wood with colored lines. But on the other hand, individual fibers have been broken.

Thoughts? Those with experience with the particular species most helpful. I know there are a few of you here.

Offline sleek

Re: Rings on diffuse porous woods/should I back this thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:14:23 pm »
Id bet your fine given a good tiller. But at the same time, that wood would look killer under a clear goat belly rawhide after a stain.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »
Yeah, mixed feelings on what to do.

My gut says it will be fine.

My other gut says it wouldn't be too much extra work to back it.

Either way, I'll have to continue tillering it unbacked for now because I'll eventually be giving it a really good heat treat. So any backing would be a couple weeks away probably, especially if I make my own hide glue to do it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:26:30 pm by nakedfeet »

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:50 am »
Get it to 2/3 way there, if it makes it unbacked it should last backed. Then heat treat, add your back, then tiller to completion.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:48:36 am »
My question is ,in what part of the limb is the violation ? if it is in a hard working part I would probably back it, if not I would go for it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:01 am »
Hey tony....glad ya made it to Marshall.  ;)

Your thoughts are all correct...BUT when in doubt back it. Its real easy to rawhide back,and doesn't take long. And gives ya peace of mind that's a nice added insurance....plus it looks cool IMHO.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:23:13 am »
I don't know what you should do because I can't tell  but when I cut through a ring, if possible, I chase to another. If not, I back it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »
My question is ,in what part of the limb is the violation ? if it is in a hard working part I would probably back it, if not I would go for it. :)
   Pappy

It's pretty much in the middle of the limb. Leaning toward backing the middle section of the bow and leaving the outer thirds alone (so as to not add too much weight out there).