Author Topic: Sioux bow  (Read 4017 times)

Offline kirk

Sioux bow
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »
I have just finished a Sioux bow made of winged elm it is 62" long,1/2" at the tips and 1 1/8" at center of the working handle. It pulls 64 lbs at 28" and seems to be very quick. It is super consistent on the bulls eye and I am getting great penatration on a 3D shooter buck target after some target shooting I took it into the hay field and shot the 500 grain arrow at about a 35 degree angle skyward and was hoping for 200 yards and only got 175 out of it. I would like to know from some of you guys would you be satisfied with this'd performance or does it fall short ( no punn intended ) of where it should be?

Offline Green

Re: Sioux bow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:47:40 pm »
Can't answer your question, but am starting on a Winged Elm stave tomorrow that I roughed out awhile back.  Hopefully you'll have a chance to post some pics in the near future.

Offline kirk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:56 pm »
Good luck to you I hope it turns out to be a beauty.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:05:04 pm »
I say you should be happy with that. I've always heard that 100 yds. + the draw weight of the bow was considered good. Using that formula 164 yards from your bow would be considered fine and you got 175.
Ya know we like pictures right. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:29:25 am »
Your angle is way too low. Try 43-45 degrees.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:33:40 am »
I say you should be happy with that. I've always heard that 100 yds. + the draw weight of the bow was considered good. Using that formula 164 yards from your bow would be considered fine and you got 175.
Ya know we like pictures right. :)

Yeah I have heard the same thing.

When I seen "Sioux Bow"  I couldn't wait to drool over another replica. But there was NO PICTURES!  :laugh: Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
can we see a picture?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:48:37 pm »
distance shooting is a very crude way to evaluate a bow's performance if you don't know the arrows. Not hitting a distance you aim for doesn't necessarily mean your bow is (too) slow. 
A helical fletching versus a straight fletching makes a lot of difference. When I try both on otherwise identical arrows, the straight fletched easily go 20-30 m further.

In addition, the smoothness of the arrow can also make a difference. If you stick to a particular set of arrows for distance shooting, you'll be able to compare performance among your bows.
The moment I used carbon arrows instead of my own bamboo shafts, I shot 20 m further than I was used to, although when chronographed (which is of course at short range) the initial velocity was similar. Suddenly, I started to get distances you expect from reading what others report with bows of similar poundage and speed, but which I could never achieve with my helically fletched home-made bamboo arrows.

Also, the angle should be just under 45° (folks, correct me if I'm wrong; in vacuum 45° would be optimal, but I thought that in real air you need to aim just below that because friction causes the arrow to lose speed, yielding an asymmetric flight path).

And give us some pics please :-)

Joachim

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »
I have every confidence in flight shooting advice when it comes from joachimM. That is his area of expertise. I would like to see some pictures as well!

Offline kirk

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 07:34:34 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Guy's. Will send some pics soon I am having trouble getting pics to go through right now.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 08:05:17 pm »
Sounded like a great bow to me when you said you got consistent bullseyes, and good penetration!! Enough said right there. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:40:53 pm »
Sounded like a great bow to me when you said you got consistent bullseyes, and good penetration!! Enough said right there. ;)

Tattoo Dave

+1, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 01:35:49 am »
I have every confidence in flight shooting advice when it comes from joachimM. That is his area of expertise. l!

Enough sarcasm for today  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 03:22:34 am »
You are also probably using regular yards to measure the distance...
You need "Archer's Yards", these are about 2'6" ;) >:D
More seriously a lighter arrow 400gn, with small fletchings will help a lot if you want distance.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 01:36:52 pm »
Also, the angle should be just under 45° (folks, correct me if I'm wrong; in vacuum 45° would be optimal, but I thought that in real air you need to aim just below that because friction causes the arrow to lose speed, yielding an asymmetric flight

Joachim
45 degrees should still be optimal, if there is any variation I would suspect it is far below human dexterity to appreciate. The force of drag acts on both the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity.
-unless the arrow produces a notable lift force
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:11:54 pm by Newindian »
I like free stuff.