Author Topic: Black locust  (Read 11960 times)

Offline Wulamoc

Black locust
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:56:11 am »
Is black locust a good wood for making bows? I have access to some and didn't know if it should go into bows or the fireplace. Thanks in advance.
Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Black locust
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:09:38 am »
Black locust is very good bow wood; use the dark corewood, sometimes "frets" will develop with no apparent reason, but don't let this stop you. BL is a strong, hard, pretty wood. Good luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
Oh no! Not the fireplace. BL is a very good bow wood. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:18:18 am »
I have seen more fretting with BL when used in backed board bows.  I've made a handful of slefbows with no trouble (I'm also probably better at tillering than when I did the backed bows).  I like to go a little leaner on wood than a lot of the guys. I love a BL selfbow 63" ntn, 1 3/8" wide.  Takes heat very well.  Hmm.... theres a BL stave over theere right now...

Dave

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:37:22 am »
It's a great wood.  Even straight trees can hide some twists, knots and snakiness inside but as said above, it takes heat really well if you need to straighten it.  I've made 6 bows so far and 3 are of black locust and I have been harvesting more staves as I really like it. Two came in at 45 # although I wanted 50 because I find tillering flat bellied bows challenging, but my next will come out the weight I want.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:24:21 pm »
Excellent bow wood, I would recommend getting a lot of limb working and get it working right out of the fades. It can chrysal but when made right they are fast and beautiful. Steve

Offline Loki

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:15:10 pm »
I've got one drying i'm busting to get stuck into!
Durham,England

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:09:55 pm »
BL is excellent bow wood (and excellent firewood  :) ). It was the go-to bow wood for the natives in my area. It will sometimes chrysal if you hinge it or have an uneven tiller, but that 's just because it's so tension-strong. Making a trapezoidal cross section helps.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »
Wish it was more common up here, but I've found 3 different houses that have it growing in their yards,
sounds like a midnight raid in the making eh >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:32 am »
B.L. is about all I have around here on Long Island.  Iv'e got some staves drying as I write.  I was wondering if a short 58" ish D style would be ok for locust.  I thought if the handle was bending it may have less of a fretting problem.  Is this correct thinking or is that too short for locust.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:46:05 am »
Wish it was more common up here, but I've found 3 different houses that have it growing in their yards,
sounds like a midnight raid in the making eh >:D

Dana....I have a Buddy that keeps Pipeline Right of Ways clear off trees ...and He has asked me if I wanted any of what He cuts...and He cuts quite a bit of Locust...Honey and Black...they use it here for Wind Breaks...just like Horse Apple....if I can find some nice ones....I will drop one by the Ole Treatment Plant this Fall when I come back for da Sal-Mon( Texas pronunciation!!) Tourney......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:03:48 am »
Is it good wood???
when the archer God cries his tears turn into black locust trees.....he's generally a sad god I would imagine due to the prolliferation of the species.
...Guess his girlfriend left him. MAN ITS GOOD WOOD!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

nailbender

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:22:39 am »
 Does black locust grow in the northern states? Minnesota to be exact. The way everyone is raving about it makes me want to find some.
  Dale.

ozark caveman

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:50 am »
It's awesome wood! I wish I could get more. I've only had one stave :(

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:43:07 am »
yankee that would be awesome and much appreciated ;D

nailbender were probably in the same boat, it will grow this far north but its usually a decoratibve tree in someones yard >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI