Author Topic: Riser material  (Read 2327 times)

Offline DC

Riser material
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:09:19 pm »
I'm working on a Douglas Maple bow. It's 1 1/8" thick at the handle so for comfort I have to build it up a bit with a riser. Does it matter what wood I use? I'm thinking that if it's too stiff it might want to pop off. On the other hand, stiffer might help keep the handle from bending so maybe it would help keep if from popping off. I know, I know, I think too much ;) ;) The riser will  only be  about 3/8" thick so it probably doesn't matter.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Riser material
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:38:12 pm »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:46:25 pm »
Cork
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »
Why not use wood from your stave ? Cut it , fit it and glue it. If it doesn't fit right rasp it down to fit.
Same wood.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »
I use thick scrap leather to build up handles. Haven't tried cork yet but I'm sure it's better

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:23 pm »
Cork sounds good. I had forgotten about it. I would have used Doug Maple left over from the stave but there was no pieces thick enough. I could have laminated a couple of thicknesses but why advertise bad glue joints?  :-[  I can make almost perfect glue lines as long as I can use dark wood ;D ;D Leather scraps I got. I bought a bag of ends from Michaels. Scrap is a better name for it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:52:26 pm »
I've used shoe leather saturated in super glue to build up risers and for tip overlays.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 12:02:09 am »
You can use harder woods if you laminate them. If your glue joints are "bad", you should sand the pieces longer/flatter or use a different glue if it's a color thing. My first osage bow was from a thin stave. I glued a scrap piece from the stave to build the handle. After several pop offs, I ended up splitting the handle piece piggy back style and glued a couple lams in between and one on the non-rest side. Haven't had an issue since.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:54 am »
Yep, cork