Author Topic: should be interesting  (Read 2168 times)

Offline jayman448

should be interesting
« on: May 19, 2015, 02:25:21 am »
pope n young, fred bear, or howard hill: whos your favorite? who do you think has made the biggest contribution to archery and why?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: should be interesting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:16:08 am »
All legends and have there place in archery history. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:40:28 am »
I'm with Pappy. I don't think I could pick from that big three. I really need to read more of Hill and Pope and Young. I have read and re-read the stuff I have from Papa Bear. In fact, it is time to start reading his stuff again. I think I will rotate the field notes into the reading room, right now.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:19 pm »
haha awe come on! way too passive XD haha.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:40 pm »
They are all legends. Don't forget about Jay Massey, The Thompson Brothers. Glen St. Charles and many others.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline country

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
I don't think I could pick either.   I have enjoyed reading about them and watching old footage. I was always impressed by the amount of draw weight Howard hill shot at .. I'm not sure what everyone else pulled ..  not sure how they were able to swing that much time and money hunting. ... Lol jealous

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:22:06 pm »
For me it goes back way before them. If those fella's didn't grab the bull by the horns first, somebody else would have in time. Archery is too old for me to get to crazy over these fella's. I do appreciate the entertainment they produced. Like writings and old videos. Just like somebody 50 years from now will appreciate all the stuff Don Thomas and Monty Browning have done.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:15 am »
I guess in my head the big question is this : they are all amazing ledgends doing something unheard of. Archery was vurtually dead in this continent and they each did their part to conserve it or push it into main stream. So who then was most influential in that ? Howards mainstream and moving picture films? Pope and yiungs ledgendary hunts and writings? Bears advancements in gear, film, and acceleration of the sports popularity. They all conserved and worked to bring archery back from the dead. But who made the biggest contribution in obes opinion. It can really be taken many different ways. Conservation, hunting skill, film, inovation, publicity. Heck i dont care if you say pope just cuz you didnt like hiwards hair cut xD. Lol im just trying to get a conversation going xD. Haha

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 06:03:19 am »
Sorry you are disappointed, said about all I had to say about um. ;) :) To be honest most folks in Archery today don't have a clue who any of them are. They have heard of Bear Archery or  maybe the Pope and Young Club but that is about as far as it goes.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:39:15 am »
Perhaps those fella's gained their popularity at the same time the move camera did? Or, maybe that's coincidence.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:19:59 am »
Me being from Michigan, it would be Fred Bear but  we also had a personal connection with Fred as my dad and Fred were friends as my dad was on his advisory staff and he shot for Bear Archery.  Our archery shop was called Bear Archery of Muskegon.

But, they were all outstanding ambassadors of archery and pretty good business men to boot.  I think Fred's bows were really good entry level and above bows for the common man to buy and use.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:43 am »
Thats interesting :)