Author Topic: working on a quiver  (Read 2339 times)

riverrat

working on a quiver
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
dont have any rawhide or furs, bark on trees just isnt good this time of year to pop it off.soooo, this morning i went down by the river. all i could find is more shoot shafts.....hmmmm......so i started on the one on the left at the river. all i had was a knife and a piece of sand stone i found out there.used the river to soak the strips so i could make them pliable.ill get back to that one on and off as the days go by. i want to keep up with the knife and sandstone build on it.it wont look awesome like something i made in my garage full of tools and sanders but it will look nice and work.the one on the right still needs two bands mid top and mid bottom to stabilize it. its made of shoot shafts. i got alot.lol glued in a wood branch plug in the bottom.in the spring i want to get some mulberry shoots, strip off the bark and weave it around the top. but as it is, its useable. just easy to twist until i get the other bands around it.anyhow just a couple ideas i had for quivers while i was out and about today. Tony

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: working on a quiver
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »
Nice, work. I always prefer functionality to aesthetics. 
Sometimes, it's fun to see what you can do with the tools you have on you. I ordered 500 boo garden stakes and had around 25% rejects for arrows,so I'll probably give a quiver a try. I already made a medium sized box trap and a fish trap. Excess/ left over material can be the mother of invention right along side necessity.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:37:53 pm »
the mother of necessity :) . i always try to make the best out of what im dealt . right now im dealt shoot shafts lol. lookin forward to seeing your quiver. Tony

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:20 am »
Use what ya got right tony 😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:29 am »
Nice project riverrat.Did that earlier here this fall too with dogwood out of ditches here.Makes for a nice lightweight quiver.I filled the bottom 2" in with strips of wet rawhide woven in there.Have to use 9 main split shafts to start with and then they wove in there nicely every other one on top of each other.
Never made a fish trap yet but sounds good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed