Author Topic: Need prayers for Ed Scott UPDATED 5/22  (Read 3731 times)

Offline looper

Need prayers for Ed Scott UPDATED 5/22
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:24 pm »
Many of you know Ed, either personally or through his works of art. He is in desperate need of your prayers.

He was recently hospitalized with internal bleeding resulting from some sort of tumor in his esophagus. I, and several others, had a chance to see him a couple of weeks ago at Mike Yancey's shop, and he was obviously suffering. I don't know what the prognosis is, but will try to find out if I can.

So, please lift him, his wife, his family, and his doctors up in prayer.

Thank you.

Cheney Looper

I talked to Ed & Carolyn today. On page 4 of this thread, Mike pretty much summed up what Ed told me. They did an exploratory surgery on Tuesday and found that the tumor had completely blocked the lower portion of his stomach. They rerouted his lower intestine to a spot above the tumor. Today, they did a test to see if the bypass was successful, but he didn't know the results of that test when I talked to him.

Like Mike said, the tumor was cancerous, and they couldn't take it out. Not sure why it couldn't be removed, but the next step, once Ed gains his strength back, is chemotherapy treatment. It is going to be a long road for him, so continue to lift him up in prayers.

UPDATE 5/19

Many of you have asked about his situation. I don't think he'd mind me sharing.

He was hospitalized recently with internal bleeding from a large tumor in his upper stomach. They are running more tests to determine the best course of action, which I imagine will happen quickly. They'll either be removing the tumor or, if that's not possible, treating it with chemotherapy.

He's been suffering from the effects of the tumor for quite some time now, but it was only discovered recently, no thanks to the VA Hospital. He hasn't been able to eat much of anything for a couple of months, maybe longer. He said he had lost over 15 pounds in the month of April alone. He had dropped down to less than 145 pounds (his normal is over 200). The internal bleeding just started a few days ago, but he's been vomiting and in a lot of pain for weeks.

At any rate, as you can imagine, his condition is very serious. The good news is that they have finally identified the problem, and he is in good care at Cibola General Hospital. Previously, he was dealing with the VA Hospital, who, in my opinion, allowed his condition to go undiagnosed for far too long. Ed is in great spirits, confident of his recovery. He does sound weak, as is expected, but they are feeding him intravenously, and he's gained back 2 pounds already.

The bad news is that there is a good possibility he might end up with some sort of feeding tube. That'll be tough on a fellow that likes to eat.

So, keep up the prayers.

5/22 UPDATE  I talked to Ed & Carolyn today. They did an exploratory surgery on Tuesday and found that the tumor had completely blocked the lower portion of his stomach. They rerouted his lower intestine to a spot above the tumor. Today, they did a test to see if the bypass was successful, but he didn't know the results of that test when I talked to him.

The tumor was cancerous, and they couldn't take it out. Not sure why it couldn't be removed, but the next step, once Ed gains his strength back, is chemotherapy treatment. It is going to be a long road for him, so continue to lift him up in prayers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:08:51 pm by looper »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Need prayers for Ed Scott
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »
I will be talking with a great horned owl later tonite and I will tell her about Ed.  Since he calls his business Owl Bows, she will understand. 

Prayers for him, he is a brother to all of us, and a person that has done much for the sport we all are passionate about.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:19:02 am »
This is terrible news. We were not put on earth to survive it, but we never want to see one of our own go, especially struggle.  Im no doctor but I dont think it sounds deadly just painful?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:39:37 am »
Sad news for sure.  Never met him but really like his work.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:14:56 am »
Prayers sent. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:47:13 am »
Thoughts and Prayers have been sent. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:25 am »
Hope all turns out well for Ed. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with him on a couple of occasions
and he is a good man, get well soon Mr. Scott.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:50 am »
My thoughts and prayers , get well soon ED.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 11:10:45 am »
Prayers sent.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:14 am »
Ed has been added to our prayer chain for a quick and complete recovery.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:22 am »
Prayers sent for Ed.  He is a very interesting man to talk to.  He's done a lot for primitive archery.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 12:36:47 pm »
I will keep Ed in my prayers. He is such a talented man but even more he's a nice gentleman. I always look forward to visiting with him at the Cloverdale shoot.

Offline sleek

Re: Need prayers for Ed Scott UPDATED
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:34 pm »
Its a crime what the va has done to its own. No accountability is a big problem. Hard not to get political on that topic but we need to have the va privatized.  Glad he is done with them and getting treated. Hopefully its not too late.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »
prayers coming. good luck!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »
May the good Lord take a liking to ya Ed.
Get well soon.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.