Author Topic: Avoiding rotator cuff problems  (Read 1367 times)

Offline DC

Avoiding rotator cuff problems
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:54:39 pm »
 In order to improve my shooting I want to shoot 50+ arrows a day. When I do that now with a 37# bow I start to get a ache in the front of my drawing shoulder. I can reduce the weight of the bow a bit. I tried using a piece of surgical tubing as an exercise but that seemed to make it worse. To many reps I think. Does anyone have any hints? Dos, don'ts, links ideas :D
Thanks

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Avoiding rotator cuff problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »
Sounds like an inflamed bicep tendon, it runs up the front of your shoulder and sits in a groove in the ball of your humerus.

I had shoulder surgery 4 months ago, an inflamed bicep tendon shut me down on rehab for several weeks. I ended up getting a cortisone shot in it to reduce the inflammation, after the shot I was OK, no more problems.   

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:26 pm »
Could be impingement syndrome, where the end of the acromion bone has a natural down-ward hook to it. When the arm is raised it  rubs on the tendon coming from the bicep muscles and will get inflamed and frayed. I had this surgery 14 years ago and its been smooth sailing since. It will not get better with exercise and it is an easy fix. The go in arthroscopically and grind off the hook.   6 weeks or so till recovery.  A simple x ray done correctly to look for the specific problem will quickly show the answer. Did two shoulder MRI's both inconclusive, orthopedic surgeon said did they do an xray? took one look and said Holy smokes no wonder you are having problems. It will get so bad you can't pick up a gallon jug if you don't get it fixed. get checked.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:20 pm »
link to an xray  note the large white arrow point to downward spur, all they do is grind it off. if the damage is not too bad already.

http://www.radiologytutorials.com/main.cgi?tut=/main.cgi&frame=main&tt=1&s=2&t=259