Author Topic: Need HVAC help  (Read 2242 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Need HVAC help
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »
Our air conditioner/heat pump stopped blowing cold air tonight.  After some investigating I found the outside condenser fan motor is very hot and not turning.  I heard a buzz like it was trying to turn on but it didn't.  I checked the air filter and it wasn't to bad.  I replaced it and we are letting everything cool down.  I took the panel off on the inside unit and everything looks fine in there. 

Does anyone know how to check the motor to see if its bad?  How hard are they to replace? 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

Re: Need HVAC help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:57:08 pm »
you probably need a new capacitor. condensers have a dual purpose capacitor. one side is for the compressor and one side is for the fan motor. the capacitor helps both start and run. in order to check a capacitor you need a microferets tester( sorry can't remember how to spell it). most people don't have one so I would say replace the capacitor. most heating supply houses will have them for about 15 bucks.when you open up the control panel the capacitor will either be an oval or round silver canister with three leads off the top. one side will say Fan, the middle will say C and that is for common and the other side will say herm and that is for the hermetic compressor. outside of that you need to know the resistance across the windings in the fan motor to get an accurate reading of whether the motor is shot. the only easy way to know is if you have a direct short from ground to one of the 2 legs. that is assuming it's a 220 volt fan motor. any more questions Clint PM me and I'll send you my phone number and you can call me on the phone I can walk you through it. because I certainly don't want to be talking about heating and air condition at Marshall >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:02 am »
Thanks Paul.  Patrick walked me through some stuff to check over the phone and he's pretty sure its the capacitor also.  I'll have to wait until next week to fix it.  I have to work this weekend. 

And don't worry Paul.  I have a feeling if I don't get it fixed by Marshall I won't be going.  I'm hoping to get it fixed on Monday or Tuesday.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:19 am »
Very good description Paul!

You should have no problem getting it up and running on Monday Clint. It's pretty simple to change out. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
A $17 capacitor is all it needed.  Its running and the house is cooling off.  Thanks again Patrick and Paul. 

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 10:37:21 pm »
Didn't know there was some fellow fridgies on here!
If your outside coil is dusty give it a hose down as well!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:58:46 pm »
If it's the same thing I'm thinking of don't stick a screwdriver across the two and see if you get a spark ::). After my ears quit ringing and the white spots cleared from my eyes I was fine. :) Then I called my A/C buddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:38:21 pm »
glad to hear. like wizardgoat said clean that condenser coil while you're at it, usually a good idea to take the cage off on top and spray inside out so you don't drive stuff in the coil although it can be done from the outside very easily. easy fixes are the best fixes 8)

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:07:32 am »
Didn't know there was some fellow fridgies on here!
If your outside coil is dusty give it a hose down as well!

Yep Goat there is a few of us!
glad to hear. like wizardgoat said clean that condenser coil while you're at it, usually a good idea to take the cage off on top and spray inside out so you don't drive stuff in the coil although it can be done from the outside very easily. easy fixes are the best fixes 8)

Yeah a water hose with a standard sprayer it the best. Spray from the inside outward and keep it perpendicular to the coils. And be careful they are sharp. I'm a believer that a clean coil makes the compressor last longer. All good advice! Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 12:10:25 am »
If it's the same thing I'm thinking of don't stick a screwdriver across the two and see if you get a spark ::). After my ears quit ringing and the white spots cleared from my eyes I was fine. :) Then I called my A/C buddy.

Your supposed to turn the power of and unhook the wires first mullet! That's how you discharge the the charge they store if they don't have a bleed down on them! Patrick