Author Topic: New Mexico or Nevada Stone  (Read 1531 times)

Offline BarredOwl

New Mexico or Nevada Stone
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:15 am »
I have worked in the past some stone from either or both New Mexico and or Nevada.  It looks like a watered down milky translucent stone with some tiny dark star shaped specks (maybe fossils) in the stone.  I would want it to be heat treated since I don't have a kiln and I am looking for either large spalls or chunks that I could spall out for arrow points.  I know the stuff is tougher than boot leather because I have knapped a little of it and it is the slickest, waxiest looking stuff you have ever seen when heat treated.  Looking for enough to yield at least a dozen or more arrow points that I can put on my deer arrows this fall.

I think the New Mexico stuff is what I am really interested in.  The Nevada stuff I am thinking about is a type of siliconized volcanic ash and it is more white with bands of color through it. 

I can trade an osage, or hackberry stave or try to work something out.  I have a lot of dogwood in this area too.   

Offline BarredOwl

Re: New Mexico or Nevada Stone
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »
The stuff I am thinking of looks similar to the clovis point in terms of translucency and color and has black speckling like the notched point.  If I can't find some of the translucent stuff I would be interested in some really good pink Burlington like the folsom point example.