Author Topic: My knapping set up. What is your set up and tools like?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Majuba Tom

My knapping set up. What is your set up and tools like?
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
I just thought I would share a photo of my little work bench with my main tools and the OBS bifaces I have been making over the last few days.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:30:01 am by Majuba Tom »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: My knapping set up.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:36 pm »
That's a pretty good assortment. Aught to have an ishi stick for every ocassion :). Maybe I'll do likewise. Have so much stuff out there but wind up using my few favorite tools all the time.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:23:07 pm »
Crack-um, whack-um, smack-um and stack-um.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:24 am »
Very cool.  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »
Good picture!
1’—>1’

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:00 am »
That's a pretty good assortment. Aught to have an ishi stick for every ocassion :). Maybe I'll do likewise. Have so much stuff out there but wind up using my few favorite tools all the time.

It would be great to see your favorite tools you work with Cowboy. Zuma you are right that was a lot of crack-en , whack-en and smack-en. I still have a few good size cobbles I have to work down. I picked all that up at the gem and mineral show on Saturday. They had 5 gallon buckets full for $15 bucks. I grabbed what I thought was the best bucket which had a good mix of OBS and some dactite. It has sure made for some good practice of spalling and bi-facing.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: My knapping set up. What is your set up and tools like?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 07:14:10 pm »
Here it is MT. I didn't organize, this is pretty much how it sets. An assortment of boppers, ishi, abraders, pads, hammer stone, the usual. I've been using those abrader parts all the way last few years. New abraders are only for squaring and semetry. Typically use the 3/4 bopper for heavy work and that shiny 5/8 does everything after that, it used to be hemisphered.
 Oh yeah, usually have my wiener dog out in the pit with me :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Majuba Tom

Re: My knapping set up. What is your set up and tools like?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
Looking good. It looks like your tools work well for you. I need to get some solid copper boppers. I would not need to swing so hard and should improve the accuracy of my strikes. One of these days I will go by the recyclers and pick up some copper.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:39:42 pm by Majuba Tom »