Author Topic: Shooting a bow to perfect tiller  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Shooting a bow to perfect tiller
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »
Does anyone think it is possible to shoot a bow who's tiller is just off a little to a perfect tiller.
For example,  could pulling a bow back by the same person to full draw many many times equal out the two limbs? making the stronger limb equal to the weakest? sort of "stress relieving" the bow in the hand.

Reason I ask, I have a bow that I shoot all of the time.  I know it has lost 3# of draw weight since being broke in (1.5 yrs).  and the bow (not me) shoots much better now than before.

If not, why wouldn't the stronger limb give to the weaker, creating a little unseen "set".
What do you guys think? am I thinking too much?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Shooting a bow to perfect tiller
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:13:13 pm »
I have notice one thing that happens over time, if you have a slight twist in a limb it will often pull out from being flexed straight back over and over.

As far as one limb helping the other even out, this hasn't happened to me. I always make my bottom limb stiff and it is always the one that goes weak over time, much weaker than the top limb.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:43:41 pm »
 Same as above i usually make my bottom limb just a but stii and it will often even out after shooting in.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 02:54:04 am »
Yeah with use things settle down and even out a bit.
I think Mrs Cat :-* has smoothed me out a tad over the years by workin' me hard :laugh: ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:27:12 am »
Thanks guys for your thoughts.................
DBar

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:50:25 am »
If shot often enough I think some, maybe most, will change over time. Doesn't seem unreasonable that some will shift to better tiller and some possibly to worse. If I have one that shifts the strain it is usually
to the latter unfortunately.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:20 am »
To those who make the bottom limb stronger and find it evening out over time...

How are you judging the limbs' strengh relative to one another? By how it looks at brace, or by how it looks at full draw?

If judging at full draw on the tillering tree, are you drawing the bow the way you would by hand? Or by pulling the string at the center of the handle?

Have you tried tillering them so their strength is equal, relative to your holds on bow and string, and if so, did the bottom limb maintain its strength or get weaker in this instance too?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 02:59:02 pm »
yes I think that is possible,, and I have noticed the twist coming out on some bows,, had to re cut the string nocks to align the string :)

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 03:40:14 pm »
Not only is it possible,but it is used quite frequently by some of your more experienced, or should i say old and lazy bowyers.I know an old lazy experienced guy that does it all the time.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 04:31:50 pm »
Sometimes when you get close to finishing tiller if you shoot a few arrows through the bow it will register the last few scrapes showing better tiller. I do this if I find final tiller hard to achieve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 06:00:56 pm »
Not only is it possible,but it is used quite frequently by some of your more experienced, or should i say old and lazy bowyers.I know an old lazy experienced guy that does it all the time.

Boy ...I sure hope I'm not getting old and lazy!  :) ;)  old maybe  :-\  I would never count on this to build a well tillered bow, that's for sure.  I'm still in the learning stage and realized something was going on.

yes I think that is possible,, and I have noticed the twist coming out on some bows,, had to re cut the string nocks to align the string :)

Brad,
I think this particular bow ended up with a little twist that wasn't there to begin with.

Thanks for all the comments, makes good food for thought.
DBar

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 01:12:47 pm »
yah bar i was mostly kidding, but i have used that on more than one occasion.Nothing should get in the way of a good even thickness taper though.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 02:05:02 am »
Dances with squirrels has it nailed!
If your tiller changes you aren't tillering correctly! Eg. you aren't mimicking the forces that the bow is feeling when drawn by hand. Make your tillering set-up mimic the way you actually hold the bow and string when shooting by hand. I used to use a 'normal' tillering board eg. everything pulling from center = mistake!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:17:39 am »
To answer the question, I don't think I've every just pulled an off tillered bow to get it tillered properly. I would just remove wood from the stronger limb.

I like the bottom limb a bit stronger at full draw as shown first on the rope and pulley and then in front of a mirror or I have someone snap a digital picture at full draw. I pull from the center.

I don't think pulling askew approximates how I hold a bow.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »
i start shooting my bow when it is about 20 inches@ target weight,, so the wood responds go how I hold the bow,, but tiller can shift even at that and may need fine tuning after final shoot in,, moisture content or other variables including the wood can shift the tiller ... some bows just hold perfect,, and they are a joy,, :)