Author Topic: unusual looking osage in progress  (Read 23630 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: unusual looking osage in progress
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
That is an incredibly unique looking piece of osage you got there BB.  I'm sure you will do something amazing with it.  I can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 06:45:44 pm »
Saw that beautiful piece of wood at the Classic this year in stave form......sure didn't take you long to get started making a bow out of it.  :) ;)  Can't wait to see that sucker all finished up.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:19 pm »
Worked the belly a little more, got it drawing to 22" now. Anymore I don't get to upset when a bow blows up while making it but I don't want to ruin this one so going slow from here out. May not find a piece like this again ever. I believe the back will be fine and won't lift a splinter, the knots are actually more of a concern.
This one won't get any decoration, paint or add ons. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 09:18:18 am »
Greg, have you left that last sapwood ring on very many bows?  I was just wondering if this is as rare as I think it is. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
I've only left a ring of sapwood on osage one time Howard and that was recently and the bow didn't survive to full draw. Wasn't the sapwood that failed, just bad tillering at the fades and got it bending to much at the handle. Did a mulberry a couple years ago with one ring of sapwood intact that came out nice. Cody has that one now and it is one of my favorites of all the bows I've made so far.

blackhawk

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2015, 12:10:26 pm »
Come on hurry up....ya got that creamscicle shooting yet?   ::) ....every great once in awhile I've come across these in that last layer of sapwood transitioning to heartwood.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2015, 02:19:13 pm »
Maybe tomorrow Chris, wifes got me doing some spring cleaning today. I keep taking these breaks to get on PA and take a breather but she's pushing me hard to do other things around the house. :'( ;D ;D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »
Same here Greg...... :)  the knee excuse doesn't work anymore after the Classic.  ;D
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 03:33:21 pm »
That's really unusual looking, never seen that on my stuff. Obviously the time when the sap changes into the heartwood. Do you what month it was cut?

And -  I'm sure we will see a fine bow soon ....
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
Maybe tomorrow Chris, wifes got me doing some spring cleaning today. I keep taking these breaks to get on PA and take a breather but she's pushing me hard to do other things around the house. :'( ;D ;D

Yeah it's great going on our little outings. Only to come home and realize that the wife only had more time to find things for us to do! I'm with you buddy! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badly Bent

Re: unusual looking osage in progress (tiller thoughts anyone?)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 09:05:51 pm »
Tiller input welcome, here's where I'm at with it now. Have it drawing to 22" and feels about in the low
40's # at that length. Want to take it to 25" and anything above 45# at my 24" draw. I have to do some string alignment adjustment tomorrow but that should be easy with the heat gun.

The setback you see in the handle area is natural and was there from the start, not fond of that much setback all in the handle area. I tried heating a little out when I had the bow roughed but only eliminated a very small amount. Shot about 70 arrows out of it at the short 22" draw and it has a bit of handshock.
Tiller critique welcomed, I don't want to crank her back in further at this point so any input is welcome.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »
Here's the back profile/shape

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:44 pm »
That's terrible looking, I'll send ya my info for proper disposal  >:D she's a beauty, nice bend
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »
the second full draw picture appears that just out of the handle on the bottom is a little stiff.did you try steam to get that set back handle out?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 10:04:46 pm »
No chance Blaflair.  >:D

Didn't apply steam Paul but your right that would do it. It may not show in the unbraced pic. but the reflex in more pronounced out of the handle at the bottom limb. Do you think it would be a good idea to take a little of that reflex out of the handle at this point? I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if that would be a good idea and don't want to experiment on this one.  Will I lose draw weight doing that?  I haven't heat treated the limbs so I could do some of that to get some weight back if I lose some .