Author Topic: Not thrilled with osage  (Read 6352 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Not thrilled with osage
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 03:03:22 pm »
Yep, black locust. You have to be careful with it because it frets easily from tillering issues and over-stressing (I've yet to quantify what over-stressing is on "average" locust) but simply put its higher modulus of elasticity/stiffness means less wood and mass is required for the same resistance. Tempering the belly makes the wood quite set resistant even in those narrow profiles.

Locust also works from the bitter cold of winter and blistering heat of summer in the Nevada desert to the muggy rainforest of Washington's summer. People can say no wood besides osage does this but the fact is locust has and does ;)

The two flaws are the need for heat treatment and its lower jenka hardness, meaning the wood will dent easier than osage or hickory. Toast the belly and don't use it as a sword and you're set ;)

I haven't used honey locust but its numbers and reputation put it pretty well into the middle tier of woods where I think locust is right up at the top with yew and osage.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 09:17:13 pm »
I've sung it before and I'll sing it again along the tune to the national anthem...this is the bowyers anthem.

Osage can you see
By the bowyers bench
What so proudly we hail
As the king of all bow wood.....

And as it says on the tillering board at twin oaks......OSAGE IS KING     >:D

I know I sound like I'm an osage snob,but I'm not...in the last year I've finished one osage,n the other dozen+ were non osage

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 10:02:27 pm »
I prefer to elect my officials >:D >:D >:D

I'm sure it could be better than I give it credit for but I need to try a lot more to come to that conclusion ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 02:20:18 am »
B. Locust rocks  :) if I had two choices of osage or locust it would be a very hard decision for me.
No need to pike your bow just give it an elliptical tiller. No problem with going long with sage or indeed wide....just don't mix the two and give it the correct tiller shape = no handshock and fast arrows. I don't know why everybody seems to be saying the same old thing about length.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 02:42:12 pm »
 one bow is not enough to know,, :)